FORUMS: list search recent posts

Advice please! Canon 7D kit for travelling?

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Abi Austin
Advice please! Canon 7D kit for travelling?
on Jan 22, 2015 at 2:29:03 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm new here so I hope this is an ok question to ask! I have had a quick flick through the forums to try and find an answer but haven't found one as of yet...

I'm basically trying to find out what everyone's opinions are on what camera kit to take travelling (personal reasons) when self shooting?

I have a canon 550d at the moment, though am looking to upgrade to a 7D for better video quality and more options. I also have a shoulder rig for this, as well as a tripod and other basic accessories.

I travel quite a lot and always make a short film at the end of this. I work as a production runner in TV, so it's a good exercise not just for memories but also so I can get some practice in editing/filming etc.

I'm going on a month long trip to Canada soon, with one other person who has limited knowledge of DSLRs etc, so it will just be me filming, but being an ever so slightly narcissistic person I would like to be in it! So I'm thinking about getting a GoPro and putting it on a stick (I was against selfie sticks for a long time, but am very, very slowly coming around to them.)

My biggest problem on previous travels was sound, as it was on board sound (big mistake, I know)

I was given a zoom h4 for christmas, so am hoping to incorporate that. I've seen hot shoe adapters for canons but wasn't sure how strong they were, for a h4n. I don't have a microphone to go with this, but am looking into it.

I have asked some people I work with but am being given some quite expensive suggestions! I'm willing to spend around £800, though this is flexible as I feel if I'm going to do something I may as well do it right and I will also use the kit for short films etc.

Sorry for such a long message! Short questions: What is the best way to use a H4N with a canon 7D when travelling? Which microphones should I buy? Also, while I'm asking, which wide lens would you recommend?

Thank you a million!

Abi

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]