FORUMS: list search recent posts

Looking to get a second camera. Camcorder, or DSLR?

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean McNally
Looking to get a second camera. Camcorder, or DSLR?
on Jan 2, 2015 at 5:10:08 am

Just recently, my trusty 650D broke, leaving me cameraless. Luckily, I had a warranty from Best Buy, but now I'm without a camera, and have decided to look into getting a second one.

I'm looking to slightly upgrade, the two main choices within my budget being the 70D and the Vixia HF G30 (the latter was Canon's recommendation via phone call.) I honestly don't know much about prosumer camcorders, so I'm sort of lost here.

I love doing narrative work, but I've recently also started doing freelance jobs in the community (Basketball games, church events, etc.) The major thing I've found I'd be missing out on if I went with the camcorder would be interchangeable lenses, but I'll still have the 650D when it's fixed, so I'll still have that flexibility as an option. My question is, is it worth it to upgrade to the 70D from what I already have? What would be the downsides of getting a camcorder?

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
Re: Looking to get a second camera. Camcorder, or DSLR?
on Feb 16, 2015 at 6:42:10 pm

The 70d was a huge step forward if you are using dslr for movies. It allows a camcorder type focus system. But no dslr can compare with a camcorder for movie making ergonomics. Prosumer level is really still about 5-6000$. And there is the tripod the bag the mikes the editing system and lighting.

For a canon consumer cam go with the hfg30. 1200 at bhphoto and gives you. A 20x zoom and a sensor borrowed from prosumer line. Still no Xlr or SDI in and out. The advantage if 70d is lenses u buy will work for other cams as you upgrade. Ef mount. Though a good still lens will cost $2000 and up and the cinema lenses will cost way more.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]