FORUMS: list search recent posts

Import old Canon XL2 tape 24p.

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Caleb VanBuskirk
Import old Canon XL2 tape 24p.
on Nov 3, 2014 at 10:35:51 pm

First time posting.
Looking for help importing an old mini dv tape I found.
I remember it being shot with a Canon XL2, years ago. And I know it was 24p, most likely advanced (2:3:3:2) mode.

I no longer have the XL2, but still have a Canon HV40.
When I try to play back the tape on the HV40, the video will play for a few second and then freeze and skip and go crazy. I'm assuming the timecode is messed up, but didn't know if the problem is an obvious proprietary issue coming from the XL2, ie. I need an XL2 to play it back correctly..
I do know that the 24p is in a wrapper and needs to have the pulldown removed and all that, but I'm just focusing on the tape and what I can do to get it to playback correctly right now before I even add the computer/NLE to the equation.

Can anyone tell me where I'm going wrong?
Thank you.

-Caleb

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Import old Canon XL2 tape 24p.
on Nov 3, 2014 at 11:34:13 pm

Can't tell you what you are doing wrong, because it would appear that you are doing nothing wrong.

If memory serves, shooting 24p with the XL2 actually records it as plan ol' NTSC 60i (i.e., while it shoots at 24fps it's actually recording at 60fps), so you should be good to go, and the HV40 should play it back fine. In fact, the HV40 should play back even true 24p recording (we used to have one, and did just that).

I couldn't say what your problem is, but I believe you can rule out the "what am I doing wrong" part of the equation. Adding NLE issues to the mix right now is a moot point, they won't do you any good anyway until you get the tape to play properly, either in that device or another one.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Caleb VanBuskirk
on Nov 4, 2014 at 12:18:18 am

T2, thanks for the reply.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one confused. I too thought the HV40 would play it, since it records native 24p. I don't have the tape in front of me, I'm just going off memory, but I believe it was recorded in LP mode. For whatever reason..
Think that could be part of the problem? Is there such thing as TBC for mini dv?

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Nov 4, 2014 at 3:25:50 am

I have no idea if the LP mode is an issue. It seems like it might could be a problem in theory... but if so, I don't think the tape would play at all, not even for a few seconds.

No, there is no such thing as TBC for MiniDV. That's a digital format, of course... all ones and zeros. Time Base Correction is purely for analog device recording/playback, it doesn't apply to the digital world.

My only suggestion thus far would be to beg/borrow/steal/buy/rent (ok, don't steal) another camcorder or deck and try the tape in that. The HV40 should work, but since it doesn't... well, that's a mystery.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]