FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mat box for lens EF 24-70mm 2.8

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ali Quintana
Mat box for lens EF 24-70mm 2.8
on Sep 6, 2014 at 3:43:49 pm

I need a matbox for the ND filters for this ef lens.

Does there excist a screw on matbox?

I didnt buy the lens as yet, so I was wondering if thsi would work.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Mat box for lens EF 24-70mm 2.8
on Sep 6, 2014 at 4:23:14 pm

Well firstly it is "matte box"... that might help you with your searches. You'd not likely get any results with "matbox."

What you need to look for is a lightweight clip-on matte box, if you want to attach one directly to that lens... key words being "lightweight" and "clip-on." Although I guess there could be, I don't know that there is such a thing as a "screw on" matte box. If so, I've never heard of one.

Or you need a more conventional rods-mounted matte box with a baseplate/rods system for your camera. You didn't mention what kind of camera you are using, so I can't be more specific there.

You said you wanted it for your ND filters. So sounds like you already have a set of square 4x4 (or bigger) ND filters?... If that's the case although a matte box is ideal, you don't have to have a box to use them. A couple of manufacturers make these clamp-on square filter holders that work without an actual matte box. I even got one free once that came with a set of ND filters (Tiffen filters, I think). It's a square black plastic holder that is held on the front of the lens by a thick wide black rubber band. I'm not sure if I have ever even used it.

If you have a real video camera of some kind (C300, C500, etc.), then yes a matte box is the way to go. But if you are using a smaller camera, just a DSLR or so (5D, 6D, etc.), then it would be much cheaper to buy a couple of circular screw-on filters for that particular lens than buying a matte box system... and much less cumbersome as well. If you have flare issues add a rubber lens hood to the front of the stack.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Ali Quintana
on Sep 6, 2014 at 9:17:32 pm

Thank you for the reply, I have a black magic cinema camera.

It has an EF mount.

I plan to buy a small rig, lens and "Matte Box".

lots of direct sunlight here where I film (Caribbean) so need
ND filters.

I dont have ND filters yet either.

For me the 24 70 mm is the best choice as it gives me a wide range
of mm choice to film, it is an L serie so pretty good quaity as well and it is fixed apreture 2.8.

I have no budget to buy more lenses at this moment.

Do want to be sure about the matte box possibilities though, I saw this:

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Bundle-Swing-away-French-Rubber/dp/B006EK9O4...

Will it work with the lens?

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Sep 6, 2014 at 10:28:54 pm

You don't need a swing-away matte box. Now, swing-away IS a great thing, and I couldn't live without it.... but I shoot almost exclusively primes and have to change lenses 100 times a day, so swing-away is great. But if you are shooting a zoom lens and aren't often (or rarely) changing lenses, then the swing-away system is just a lot of extra weight and expense that you do not need.

For inexpensive matte boxes that are still decent, look at those made by Cavision.

But... your lens is FIXED at f/2.8? You can't stop it down? If so, then you will really be wrestling with exposure, even with a full matte box system and a full set of ND filters. With that setup, I wouldn't worry about a matte box, I'd use a circular screw-on Variable ND filter... you just dial in however much (or little) ND you need by turning it (they are really just sandwiched polarizers). They are not cheap... but less expensive than the cost of a matte box plus a set of 4x4 ND filters.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=variable+ND&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&...

You'd probably want to add a rubber lens shade in front, but wouldn't need a whole matte box, rods, baseplate, etc. (unless you are also using the rods for a follow-focus or other accessories).

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]