canon xf100 or canon c100 ?

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
kathreen anachioti
canon xf100 or canon c100 ?
on Jul 12, 2014 at 8:24:50 am

good morning to all,

i am looking to buy a good video camera such as the canon xf100

it seems to be a good choice for me the canon c100 with just some more money than the xf100

yes, i know that the xf100 is a video camera while the c100 is a cinema camera and certainly would be a big or little difference in picture quality although please i ask for your kind comments and advice on those two canon models

documentary, live concerts, theatrical and ballet performances and landscapes are my main interests

many thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
Re: canon xf100 or canon c100 ?
on Jul 13, 2014 at 12:19:08 pm

Kathreen, I've owned both cameras, still own the C100, and can say that they are very different cameras. It really comes down to your budget, and what you want to achieve in the look of your video. The C100 requires extra lenses. The xf100 comes with a decent but 'short' lens, and does allow zooming, which is really valuable in shooting theatrical and other live performances. If you need to add a second camera, the xf100 is also cheaper. It does have some downsides, however, in that it cannot shoot in as low light as the c100. Hopefully your theatrical work will be well lit. But I prefer my C100 in all situations. If you can afford it, it's worth it.

What I might recommend to you is to look at the XA25 or XA20 from Canon. It has a lens that has a longer zoom (20x) and believe me, that is important in theatrical at times. It also has a slightly better sensor, so it is likely to do better in low light. I shot with one last month, and it was better than my xf100 was by a small amount. It's also smaller, and less noticeable for documentary type of work.

Another option is to look at the new XF200 or 205. It also has a better zoom and other features from the xf100.

I mention the 25 or 205 models because if you need to add second cameras, you may want to link them together. These models come with more external options for doing that, such as SDI out. If you want to save some money, just by the xa20 or 200 models, and worry about connectivity later.

While neither of these cameras are as good as the C100, they will save you a lot of money, and give you plenty of great features while you learn if you really want to invest more in video. You can always sell them or use them as a second camera if you step up to the C100 later.

good luck.

Al

Return to posts index

kathreen anachioti
Re: canon xf100 or canon c100 ?
on Jul 15, 2014 at 3:59:51 pm
Last Edited By kathreen anachioti on Jul 15, 2014 at 4:01:49 pm

good afternoon dear Sir, Al Bergstein

i really thank you very much for your detailed reply

i apologize for the delay in thanking you but i have some problem with my adsl modem

personally i trust the xf100 over the xa20 or xa25 because of the trusty mpg2 codec of 50 mbits !

as far i know the avchd codec is not so good and it need at least i7 or xeon quad cpu for rendering

i do not see any major differences between the xf100 and xf20/xf25 and i fully agree that the canon c100 is a much better camera but unfortunately is not suitable for the job i need it unless i stay back from the show with a good telephoto

i would go for the xa20/xa25 because the price is a lot cheaper than the xf100 but i have read that there an audible click that effect the very first frames on recording, ok this can be edited through vegas

actually i wanted to go for 16mm film camera but the films are too expensive and cannot be bought from any local store, there many used film 16mm cameras at a very cheap prices

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]