FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon C100 HDMI Output Pulldown

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
TJ Ingrassia
Canon C100 HDMI Output Pulldown
on Jul 9, 2014 at 3:38:26 pm

I'm trying to use my Canon C100 to direct capture to my MacBook Pro using HDMI output via the BlackMagic Ultrastudio Mini Recorder. Like most C100 users, I'm frustrated by the C100's 60i output over HDMI, even when shooting 24p.

An external recording device like the Atomos Ninja 2 will automatically detect the 24p signal inside the 60i wrapper, "pulldown" the footage, and you've got your 24p. But I'm trying to record directly to Mac. I contacted BlackMagic and they said that their software (i.e. Media Express) does not recognize the need for pulldown and only records what it sees, in this case 60i.

Is anyone aware of other Mac-based live capture software that works with the Ultrastudio Mini Recorder and will detect the need for 60i pulldown, recording the footage at 24p?

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
Re: Canon C100 HDMI Output Pulldown
on Jul 13, 2014 at 12:30:38 pm
Last Edited By Al Bergstein on Jul 13, 2014 at 1:00:57 pm

What I've found out is that something like the Teranex deck is what is needed. It cross converts on the fly. It's pricey, and requires wall power, but it does the job. When you say you are 'capturing' to the MBPro, you mean not broadcasting. If you are only capturing, why not use the Atomos? I really like mine and it does the job just fine. Actually better than trying to capture 24p in AVCHD.

But I've recently started broadcasting with WIrecast and Concert Window. For that, I need to cross convert on the fly. I did that recently with the BM Intensity Pro, but it did not convert the 1080i. If you decide you need multiple cameras in your shoot, you will need to probably spend a couple of thousand to get both the Teranex and the BM Switcher. Do your switching on it, then run into the Teranex for conversion, and into the MBPro. I can't seem to find anything that removes pulldown on the fly like that other than the Teranex. Maybe I've missed something. Would love to find a cheaper solution!

There is also the possibility, which I've got to look into, that if you run the HDMI into the Atomos, that it may push the HDMI out as progressive, as it has a passthrough HDMI port for external monitoring. I think that's *not* accurate, as I believe it has to be interlaced to display properly on HDMI monitors. I'll see what happens.

Am I reading your post correctly?

Al

Return to posts index

TJ Ingrassia
on Jul 13, 2014 at 5:35:25 pm

The BlackMagic UltraStudio Mini Recorder is a much more cost-effective solution, if I was able to get the 24p issue figured out. I'm primarily using the direct capture for green screen recordings, so I like the idea of using my MBP as a monitor. Plus I have a bunch of USB3 and Thunderbolt external drives, which I could capture directly to.

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Jul 13, 2014 at 6:21:51 pm

Yes, if you aren't broadcasting real time, you are correct.

Al

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]