FORUMS: list search recent posts

Selling water-damaged cameras

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Magda Olszewski
Selling water-damaged cameras
on Jul 8, 2014 at 6:57:39 am

Hey there,

I have two water-damaged point and shoot canons I would like to sell, as well as a box of camera bits and parts and minor equipment I no longer use.

I questions for you:

a) Where is the best venue to sell? I have been reading that ebay might get me the best prices.
b) How do I know what to charge? Is there some sort of web site or app that can help me quote the parts without my having to go into extensive research mode for each part? Unfortunately, I do not have time to do with and want to make this more worthwhile then tossing/donating this stuff

Thanks in advance :)

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Selling water-damaged cameras
on Jul 8, 2014 at 2:47:04 pm

Well just don't go in with high expectations that you are going to get very much. You didn't say what models they were, but describing them as "point and shoot" lets me know they were probably fairly inexpensive cameras. If those were water damaged they would likely be good for parts only, as most people wouldn't attempt to repair them... as the repairs would likely cost far more than the cameras are worth. But they might be good "for parts" cameras.

As for venue and what to charge... yes, I would suggest eBay. You'll definitely get more eyeballs on them there than more anywhere else. As to what to charge, well, with eBay you won't have to decide... the market will decide for you what they are worth. Just set a low but reasonable starting price (or even a Buy-it-now price), whatever the lowest you are willing to let them go for. In a case/condition like that, I'd guess something in the neighborhood of 1/10th of the original price (maybe a little more) would be a good starting point.

If they are identical cameras I'd probably sell them together, someone scrounging for parts would find it more attractive to get two piles of parts rather than one. If they are different models, I'd probably list them separately.

And of course, give an accurate description of the condition/damage, you might include "For parts" in the subject heading.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Magda Olszewski
on Jul 8, 2014 at 9:12:50 pm

I thank you kindly for the thorough response.

The cameras are: a Powershot G12 and an SD100 (I might have to double check because they are hiding in a box far in the back of my closet at the moment).

Ideally I would love to have the SD fixed because I found it was an amazing camera for its size. I wanted something that I can fit in my back pocket (I am a slender female aka have small back pockets) for the quick and important moments that cannot be wasted on pulling out the SLR.

So.. in saying that, might you recommend that I try to have the SD fixed? Is it worth it? Or perhaps try to find a used one...? and if you recommend fixing, do you have some reliable sources you could share?

I must thank you again for your excellent advice because when it comes to this sort of 'nitty gritty' tedious sort of work, I admit that I get lost in all of the options and am unclear as to which is best chose :)

Cheers

Magda

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Jul 8, 2014 at 9:51:28 pm

[Magda Olszewski] "might you recommend that I try to have the SD fixed? Is it worth it?"

Doubt it would ever be worth it, you'd spend far more on repairs than it is worth if you could find someone willing to tackle it. Working SD100s can be found on eBay starting in the $20-25 neighborhood, a near mint one for less than $200. Someone has a lot of four of them (for parts) for only $12.

Considering these have water damage, that means electronics... which would be among the most expensive things to repair, if possible.

If you love that camera/model, you'd be far better off just buying another good working used one.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Magda Olszewski
on Jul 9, 2014 at 3:44:02 am

I actually meant the S100 (big difference!) but I assume the answer is the same. Thank you for your help!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]