FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon XL-2 losing sync with Miranda DV Bridge Plus

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Carrigg
Canon XL-2 losing sync with Miranda DV Bridge Plus
on Jun 24, 2014 at 5:58:13 pm

I work for a university which owns 2 Canon XL-2 DV cameras. We run them into a video switcher, and then to an AJA Ki Pro. When I was hired, I noticed the XL-2s were setup to output S-Video which was converted to SDI for the switcher. The image was predictably noisy and not worth what we were paying for, even for SD. I've seen some fantastic footage shot on these cameras.

So, seeking to improve our video quality and maintain a budget, I tracked down 2 Miranda DV Bridges, to convert directly from DV to SDI and avoid the unnecessary compression and D>A>D conversion. The quality is now just as good as plugging directly into a computer and capturing through Firewire, and we still have the live switching capability, so everything seems great...Except that the xl-2 seems to randomly lose its connection with the DV bridge.

Its like something is just not synchronizing. Sometimes its just a quick blip, where the ouput goes black, the lights on the DV bridge go from green to red, and then it all comes back a second later. Other times it stays cut off until the whole system is restarted. I've tried three or four different cables, thinking it might be a bad connection. I've swapped power cables, tried batteries in the camera instead of the AC adapter, used a power conditioner in front of the DV Bridge, thinking it nothing makes a difference. And this happens with BOTH XL-2s and BOTH DV bridges in any combination. What might I be missing here?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]