FORUMS: list search recent posts

Are there NLE programs for the footage from my XA-10 that need less space than FCP7?

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Noam Osband
Are there NLE programs for the footage from my XA-10 that need less space than FCP7?
on Jun 5, 2014 at 10:57:03 pm

I've been using FCP7 for years.

However, I recently discovered that if I use other programs with my AVCHD footage, I can save space on my memory since each 16gb card doesn't need to be transcoded to a 80GB file (the size of a regular pro res conversion) when I'm editing with it.

Which programs would use less hard drive space than FCP7? Would there be much of a difference between Premiere and FCPX?

thanks!

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
Re: Are there NLE programs for the footage from my XA-10 that need less space than FCP7?
on Jun 8, 2014 at 7:50:24 pm

Are you using an external media drive? Always a good idea to back up the card file and then import and transcode. Not a good idea to put any of this on your system drive.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Roger Van Duyn
Re: Are there NLE programs for the footage from my XA-10 that need less space than FCP7?
on Jun 10, 2014 at 11:37:00 am

Avid Media Composer can "AMA Link" to the AVCHD files. (You can wait and transcode at the end of your edit, only the portions of the footage you actually use).

It runs on both PC and Mac, plus there's an Avid forum here on the COW, and well over a hundred free Avid Media Composer tutorials here on the COW as well.

Expect a learning curve if you switch to MC, but some of the tutorials here on the COW are specifically for people like yourself switching from FCP to Avid.

Roger

Return to posts index

Noam Osband
on Jun 16, 2014 at 5:40:45 pm

Everything is on an external. But thanks for the reminder!

what about Premiere? Would i have to transcode everything? How about FCPX? I have 4tb of raw footage for a feature I'm getting ready to start editing so I want something where I'm not transcoding all of that footage.

thanks for the help!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]