FORUMS: list search recent posts

Workflow query: Importing C100 into either Adobe Premier Pro or FCP X

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kat Macaulay
Workflow query: Importing C100 into either Adobe Premier Pro or FCP X
on May 23, 2014 at 1:25:48 pm

Hi folks,

I have had to edit a fair bit of material from the Canon C100 recently and I have been finding it's file format of AVCHD MTS quite difficult to edit with. I have looked on so many posts online but don't seem to have found a definitive response on how to work with these files with as little quality lost as possible. I mainly edit on Premier but am considering trying FCPX as someone else seems to think it will handle it better. Does anyone have any thoughts on this or tried and trusted workflows? I have tried the Canon Import Utility but this is just for C300 as far as I can tell. I am currently converting to MOVs through Brorsoft file Converter but I suspect I loose more quality than if I could convert to MXF. Please help. Am I missing something?

Many thanks in advance,
Kat Macaulay

Return to posts index

Jeffrey Carter
Re: Workflow query: Importing C100 into either Adobe Premier Pro or FCP X
on Jun 16, 2014 at 1:11:11 am

I use the C100 with FCPX, and haven't had any problems. On import, it rewraps the footage so you can view it natively on the Mac. No quality loss as it's using the original media.

I've only expermented with Premier Pro CC, but it seemed to handle the files no problem as well, using the original media without quality loss.

In FCPX, you can create a 'camera archive' and easily view the footage from the import pane. In Premier I believe you would have to manually copy the footage for a camera archive from the finder.

Canon does have a utility for the C100, but it just copies the files (and does no rewrap). It's pretty useless IMHO. You can do it with QT (Mavericks) by double clicking the AVCHD folder, opening a file and do a save as (very clunky).

I guess FCPX handles the file import and archiving the easiest.

Return to posts index

Morten Ranmar
Re: Workflow query: Importing C100 into either Adobe Premier Pro or FCP X
on Oct 9, 2014 at 8:44:05 pm

We use c100 footage natively in Premiere. No problem

- No Parking Production -

Adobe CC2014, 3 x MacPro, 3 x MbP, Ethernet File Server w. Areca ThunderRaid 8

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]