FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon c100 flicker

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Wheeler
Canon c100 flicker
on May 14, 2014 at 12:48:34 pm

I recently purchased a canon C100. On playback of the recordings there is a flicker, most noticable in darker areas but can also be seen on well lit actors faces. I took the camera to canon and they did not have answer, instead saying they will investigate. The problem seemed to happen on their camera as well so it is not just a fault with mine. Sometimes it looks like the scene has been lit with a candle flickering on peoples faces. It is only seen on playback, so am wondering if it is a design fault with the on-camera recording system. When playing back on a TV the flicker is removed but not on computers.

Has anyone had this issue and did you get it resolved?

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
Re: Canon c100 flicker
on Jun 14, 2014 at 1:42:33 pm

I've seen the same thing, but only once. I was shooting with a Light Panel 1x1 outside on an overcast day, and noticed the flicker. But it's never happened again. It may be a combination of lighting and your shutter speed. (I think I was using a 180 degree shutter when it happened). I would do some tests and see if you can isolate it. Like I said, I've never seen it happen since that one time. Other footage shot earlier the same day with the LP and the C100 did not exhibit the flickering. Not sure to what to make of it, but would love to know under what conditions it happened. Let us know what your capture settings are. (what shutter speed, frame rate, etc. )

Al

Return to posts index

David Wheeler
on Jun 17, 2014 at 11:15:40 am

Hi Al, Thanks for your message. The flicker happens under all lighting conditions. It is however particularly noticable in contrast situations and an a persons face when lit or in a high contrast shot. It happens in progressive mode regardless of the camera settings. (I have tried them all.) Various technicians at Canon have been looking at it and said that on some computer screens it cannot be seen but on others it can. In most shots, not all, the problem is removed when shown on a LCD TV. Also, conversion to H264 for web viewing reduces the effect. It can be seen on the camera during playback but not while recording which leads me to think that it is something to do with the AVCHD recording system. Canon are not very good at working things out so I have suggested they do the obvious thing and use an external recorder to bypass the internal recording system. Your message has reminded me that I need to chase them up to find out how their "investigation" is going. I have experienced the problem you mentioned. If you have the flicker control on you will often get quite a severe strobing effect. This will also happen in daylight.

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Jun 17, 2014 at 9:32:20 pm

Hmmm. yes, I think you are right in trying an external recorder. As mentioned, it's only happened to me once. I have been watching for it. Just did shooting last week but no flicker. If I catch it again I'll let you know.

Al

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jun 18, 2014 at 1:19:24 pm

[David Wheeler] "Also, conversion to H264 for web viewing reduces the effect. It can be seen on the camera during playback but not while recording which leads me to think that it is something to do with the AVCHD recording system."

Do you have footage you can link to?

[David Wheeler] "It happens in progressive mode regardless of the camera settings. (I have tried them all.)"

Are you aware that there is only one true progressive mode on the C100? 24p. 24PF and 30PF are 60i with pulldown. If you're not removing the pulldown, this may be responsible for the issue you are seeing. You might want to try doing a comprehensive test with the 24p setting if you haven't been shooting primarily in that mode.

Return to posts index

David Wheeler
on Jun 18, 2014 at 5:20:07 pm

Hi Gary, I don't think I can use a 24p frame rate because in the UK the system frequency is 50 HZ. In this mode it only gives me the option of 50i or PF25. Your advice however sound good since I suspect it is in the area of hertz. (EG: TV Running at higher hertz removes the problem.) 59.94 Hz would indeed open up the options you suggested but is considered to be designed for the old NTSC rather than PAL part of the world. Am wondering though if this matters so much in the world of HD and software that can deal with it.

Will try it in 59.94 on different frame rates though. What do you mean by "pulldown?"
Still confused by the fact that the issue is not visible when recording but can be seen in the viewfinder on playback which suggests that all is ok with the settings but not the playback system.

Once I get past this busy week I will upload a clip that reveals the issue and do the tests you suggest. Thanks for your help with this.

Return to posts index

Morten Ranmar
on Oct 9, 2014 at 8:40:19 pm

Which NLE do you use? Some software interprets c100 footage wrong. Must be interpreted as Progressive, not interlaced. Premiere gives you an option to alter the interpret footage...

- No Parking Production -

Adobe CC2014, 3 x MacPro, 3 x MbP, Ethernet File Server w. Areca ThunderRaid 8

Return to posts index

David Wheeler
on Oct 20, 2014 at 4:33:13 pm

Hi Morten,

I am using final cut pro 7 but have also used premiere. I first convert for Premiere using Clipwrap 2 but the issue is also visible on the LCD screen when playing back the recording. Have been in correspondence with Canon for 6 months but so far they have not found a solution. My theory is it is a problem with the design of the internal recording system and have asked them to check with an external recorder. So far, they have not managed to do this.

Thanks for trying to help.

David

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]