FORUMS: list search recent posts

C300 > FCP7 - Can not import footage

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alexander Bradley
C300 > FCP7 - Can not import footage
on May 12, 2014 at 1:59:20 pm

Salut tout le Monde,

I have been scouring the forums but I've turned no tricks yet, so appealing to your good seances to hopefully help me and another with the same problem.

Trying to import C300 footage to edit in FCP 7.

I am working with :
Macbook Pro intel core i7
FCP 7.0.3
Canon XF Utility 1.3.2
ProApps QuickTime Codecs v1.0.4
Canon C300 shooting C-log 1080p 23.97fps bitrate 50

I can't figure out how to get the footage into FCP. I opended Canon XF Utilities and performed a backup. This backed up my footage to a external harddrive. I can see the files in Canon XF Utilities and I can play them back all fine. I did not change any file names and have everything within one folder.

After opening FCP7 and going to Log and Transfer I cannot see Canon in the Import Preferences, despite downloading and redownlong, restarting and try again to install the Canon XF Utility 1.3.2 for Mac OS X. Regardless I click Add Volume and select the base folder, and all levels of folders within as I noted sometimes with other people this was an issue. Where I get the error :

"20140512010019" contains unsupported media or has an invalid directory structure. Please choose a folder whose directory structure matches supported media.

"CONTENTS" contains unsupported media or has an invalid directory structure. Please choose a folder whose directory structure matches supported media.

The only thing I didn't do that some people have mentioned is to lock my card when I plugged it into my computer. The SanDisk Extream Pro CF 128GB card has no safety lock on it.

This is where I am pulling my hair out. Every driver is up to date, I can see the footage inside Canon's XF Utility and play it back and hear it. I just can seem to get it inside FCP to edit.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Alexander

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: C300 > FCP7 - Can not import footage
on May 13, 2014 at 3:57:42 am

Keeping in mind that I'm not a FCP user but a Premiere user...

Reading your list of things you did with the footage and the XF utility, I see where you backed up the footage (a good thing), but unless I missed it I didn't see anywhere that you actually exported the footage to get it ready to edit.

In the Canon XF utility, select either the camera card or your backup in the far left column so that you can see all the clips in the big window... then select one, several, or all of the clips... then go EDIT >> "Export To MXF" where you can export the actual MXF file(s) to the location of your choice, name them, number them, etc. Then after you export them to the location of your choice you should be able to import them into your editing program.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Alexander Bradley
on May 13, 2014 at 4:06:32 am

Thanks Todd,
I indeed did not do that step before. But unfortunately it has not gotten me any closer to getting the footage into FCP7. At the end of this process I now have another copy of the file, but when trying to bring it into FCP, it still doesn't recognise it and Mpeg Streamclip neither.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on May 13, 2014 at 4:55:26 am

Sorry about that, Alexander... although I still definitely would recommend doing that exporting step.

Now, I'm completely talking out of my ear here... which I usually wouldn't do... but the Canon forum doesn't get much traffic and you don't seem to be getting any other help so I'll venture out anyway...

Keeping in mind that I'm a veteran Premiere user and have never even once touched FCP in any incarnation whatsoever... are you sure that FCP (and specifically your version of it) can actually handle/import .MXF files?

Seems to me now that I remember hearing the woes of Apple users who could not natively use .MXF files, and had to convert them to other formats prior to attempting to import them into Final Cut. I would assume this was fixed in later versions of FC... but I really have no idea since, as I said, I'm not an Apple guy at all.

I'd say you definitely need to confirm that you should be able to import the native .MXF files directly. If you can, good, then keep working to track down your problem. If not... then you're spinning your wheels trying to get something done that will never happen no matter what you do... and you'll have to do file conversion externally outside of FCP first.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Jul 2, 2014 at 8:53:39 pm

There is a new Canon XF Utility for Final Cut 7 that recently came out...it solved our issue. Unfortunately I don't know where to find it since it was sent to us from a camera man on his FTP and it has been taken down. Let me know if you can't find it.

We own the C300 so I know of this issue.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

David Howard
on Aug 11, 2014 at 7:06:22 am

could be something in your preferences window. Thats the only thing I can think of.

Redefined Media

Video Production Sydney

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]