FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon Vixia HV40 footage blurry after converting from .mp4 to .mov

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Susan Smith
Canon Vixia HV40 footage blurry after converting from .mp4 to .mov
on May 9, 2014 at 7:28:44 am

Help!

I can't figure out what went wrong with this footage that is blurry once I get it into .mov and into FCP X:

1) I am converting CANON HV40 footage from .mts into .mp4 and then .mov -yes, this is way to much conversion, but how to avoid it? When it is in .mp4 it is not blurry.

2) I am working in FCP X and it never asks anything about the clip settings -could this be it?

3) We also have another camera (CANON EOS DSLR) on the timeline and due to the nature of the project, we were unable to make sure the cameras were on the same settings.

Yes, I am a beginner but I have always had difficulty with Canon Vixias! I know there may be nothing I can do about the footage, but I'd like to know where I went wrong!

THANKS FOR ANY AND ALL HELP!!!

-Cate

Return to posts index

Roger Van Duyn
Re: Canon Vixia HV40 footage blurry after converting from .mp4 to .mov
on May 9, 2014 at 5:29:22 pm

Isn't an HV40 an HDV camera and HDV footage M2T, a variety of MPeg2? I had two HV30's and they were, along with my Canon XH-A1 and A1S. The format .mts is usually AVCHD, a variety of MPeg4 (mp4) not HDV. How are you getting .mts from HV 40?

All the HDV recorders that I've ever used attached to my cameras have saved as M2T. When I capture from tape, files are M2T also.

You're not likely to get better quality than importing the camera's native codec into an editing program.

Roger

Return to posts index

Bob Dix
on Jun 13, 2014 at 6:40:44 am
Last Edited By Bob Dix on Jun 13, 2014 at 10:58:37 pm

I agree, the footage is just stunning. We run a Sony HXR-NX 30P Pro corder which is top end AVCHD and the Canon HV20/30/40 can still give that a run for the money. The original footage is very sharp for a 1440 x 1080i anamorphic camcorder, the Canon 5D mark II and III have an edge, but, not much.

You should have no issues editing most footage in ADOBE CS5/6 Premiere Pro and on the same timeline, including Digital 8, Hi-8, SD and HDV ,1920 x 1080p H.264 mov or 1440 x 1080 from the HV40

Freelance Imaging & Video
AUSTRALIA

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jun 13, 2014 at 5:57:57 am

you need to import the footage as pro res 422 which Apple calls
'optimized' in FCP X. attach your cam to the mac and open fcp x and import as optimized.

when you're done editing you can share it as a master file and use the app handbrake (free) to compress it if you need to.

or you could buy a video recorder and connect the hv40 to it via hdmi and capture footage in a much better codec.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jun 14, 2014 at 12:23:49 am

3) We also have another camera (CANON EOS DSLR) on the timeline and due to the nature of the project, we were unable to make sure the cameras were on the same settings.

Highlight a clip and choose the video tab in the inspector and you'll see everything you need about the codec and other settings.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Bob Dix
on Jun 14, 2014 at 12:47:08 am
Last Edited By Bob Dix on Jun 14, 2014 at 3:46:13 am

Hi Craig,
You apparently know the Canon HV40 and have never had Susan's problem? Nor have I.

Hope she gets it right, I cannot understand why she would want to convert perfectly good , sharp footage when Adobe or Final Cut Pro would do it in any case automatically, unless I am just lucky, you have got to be sometime.

AUSTRALIA

Return to posts index

Bob Dix
on Jun 13, 2014 at 10:10:38 pm
Last Edited By Bob Dix on Jun 13, 2014 at 11:55:39 pm

We never use FC Pro in the Mac, now only Premiere Pro in the PC with Mercalli V2 Pro Stabilizer Plug-In if needed or the in built Warp stabiliser in CS6. You should use a Canon Image Stabilised Lens IS on the Canon SLR, sometimes a rolling shutter effect found in some SLR's cause some poor panning.

I must say the Canon HV40 is a tape camcorder we have used intermittently for over 5 years as a back up unit, and should not be causing an issue.
GOOD LUCK !

There is no need to convert the data from the HV40 to h.264 mov, in any case Adobe CS.5.2 or 6 can easily use the data on the timeline at the correct resolution perfectly, just import the files ?

DATA from Canon specs.

MiniDV Cassette
Recording Time MiniDV Cassette GB
SP: 80 minutes (HDV, DV)
LP: 120 minutes (DV)
Video Format High Definition
MPEG2 not mp4
1920 x 1080
1440 x 1080

Still Image Resolution JPEG: 3.1 Megapixel

Check this web site >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/camcorders/high_definition_c...

AUSTRALIA

Return to posts index

Susan Smith
on Jun 24, 2014 at 2:58:42 am

Thanks to everyone for the input! Lesson well learned when it comes to working with this camera!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]