FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hard Drive DTE Recorder for XH A1 Video Camera: What are the best current options available?

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alan lipman
Hard Drive DTE Recorder for XH A1 Video Camera: What are the best current options available?
on May 1, 2014 at 1:12:39 am

Hello All,

I own a Canon XH A1 video camera, which uses mini DV tape to shoot HDV or DV.

I am considering purchasing a DTE Hard Drive Recorder in order to facilitate transfer and editing to my PC.

As I am new to these, I am not familiar with what the offerings are in this area, particularly:

1) Most current technology;

2) Best quality, features and storage for price.

3) Portability

Some online research reveals a series of DTE recorders from Focus Enhancements, such as the Firestore FS-4HD Pro.

However, I am not aware of whether there are other brands that have been developed that may offer newer methods/technology/storage at the same or lower price point, or other brands developed at the same time that may be preferable.

Is there anyone who is aware of the various options/brands/features available for DTE hard disk recording for the XH A1, and whether there are advantages in quality, ease of use, methodology/features, and portability among them?

Appreciate your knowledge and information.

Many thanks,

Dr. Alan Lipman
Washington, DC

Return to posts index

Joel Servetz
Re: Hard Drive DTE Recorder for XH A1 Video Camera: What are the best current options available?
on May 1, 2014 at 3:34:23 am

I have an XH-A1S and have been using the Datavideo DN-60 which records on Compact Flash cards. Simple, easy, no moving parts.

Joel Servetz
RGB Media Services, LLC
Sarasota, Fl
videobyjoel@aol.com
http://www.rgbmediaservices.com

Return to posts index

Roger Van Duyn
Re: Hard Drive DTE Recorder for XH A1 Video Camera: What are the best current options available?
on May 1, 2014 at 12:52:05 pm
Last Edited By Roger Van Duyn on May 1, 2014 at 12:53:19 pm

I also use two DataVideo DN-60s for my XH-A1 and newer XH-A1s. However, I'd recommend you get a special cable with an angled connector to plug into the fragile 4 pin firewire port on your A1.

The cable I use is an Up Angle Firewire DV Cable from a site online http://www.usbfirewire.com

The cable that comes with the DN-60 is a straight connector, and I damaged the firewire port on the A1. Had to send the camera in for repairs.

The DN-60s have performed flawlessly for me.

Roger

Return to posts index

David Stembridge
on Oct 23, 2014 at 2:09:00 am

I have 2 XHA1s HDV cams, we have a DN-60; but also a modified FS-4HD firestore DTE recorder, with internal Sandisk 32GB CF Card, and external power supply.

The only complaint I have about the DN-60 is that battery capacity sometime doesn't last as long as card capacity when filming weddings. I mostly just use the DTE without tape; and it has been flawless. The FS-4HD is bulkier, so it isn't used as much.

If anyone has recommendations for an alternative power supply for the DN-60, pass it along!

-another fine day at
GreenPeas Productions
http://www.greenpeas.us
<")))))><

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]