FORUMS: list search recent posts

Eye Loupe for Samurai Blade?

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Darren McPhee
Eye Loupe for Samurai Blade?
on Feb 20, 2014 at 2:49:32 am

Does anyone know of a third-party eye loupe that would work with a Samurai Blade.

It would be really convenient if I could use the Blade in place of my Zacuto EVF on shoots that require external recording.

Hoping someone out there has found an answer!

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Eye Loupe for Samurai Blade?
on Feb 20, 2014 at 3:15:47 am

I'm not sure how big the Blade screen is, but Hoodman makes several models of loupes, some for larger screens, so one of them might work.

The Deity Mira also might be a large enough loupe (it's made for the C300, not sure of the C300's LCD size compared to the Blade). It's pretty high-end, though, at about 600 bucks.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Darren McPhee
on Feb 20, 2014 at 8:29:36 am

Thanks Todd. I checked them out and unfortunately they're both are too small. The Samurai Blade is 5 inches. The biggest I've found so far is 4 inches.

Return to posts index

Darren McPhee
on Feb 20, 2014 at 9:06:57 am

Here's the best option I've found so far: http://cinescopophilia.com/grid-5-0-transforms-the-red-pro-5-0-to-a-large-h...

I think it just might work! For the price, it's at least worth a try.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Feb 20, 2014 at 3:40:14 pm

Looks to me like that's what you need... exactly.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

jonathon sendall
on Apr 23, 2014 at 5:36:13 am

I have the Blade with a Grid Loupe on th Sony F5. I found an EVF support that works well with it, exactly the same as the Tilta EVF support but cheaper by Camtree Hunt. It's on Ebay. Have a look here for a photo.

http://forum.atomos.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=150&d=1392378703

JPSendall

Story, not pixels.

Return to posts index

Darren McPhee
on Apr 23, 2014 at 4:13:17 pm

I ended up ordering the Grid Loupe as well, and I'm glad I did. It took several weeks to arrive but the wait was worth it. It fits nicely on the Blade. I use a Zacuto EVF Standard Mount and it works well. I'l check out the Camtree EVF mount though!

Aside from the eye cup being made of a stiff rubber, I have no complaints. I especially like the felt lining inside the loupe which eliminates screen glare.

Return to posts index

Leonard Caspari
on Apr 28, 2014 at 10:09:35 am

Did you encounter any problems when attaching the magnetic frame? I assume it's a sticky frame, right?

I'm asking because the Samurai and Ninja Blade don't seem to have a flat surface around the screen. So I'm wondering if that might be an issue in terms of stability. But judging from the picture it seems to hold just fine. Maybe someone could show a picture of the Blade with just the magnetic frame.

I sold my Ninja 2 and ordered the Ninja Blade instead today. And now I'm looking into the Grid 5.0 as a loupe.

Return to posts index

Darren McPhee
on Apr 28, 2014 at 8:51:57 pm

Yes it does rely on double-sided tape. I had the same concern before buying but I can say that the tape holds firm. Because the Blade is contoured slightly around the screen, you won't have perfect contact with the tape, but it's still enough that you shouldn't ever have to worry about it coming off. It feels like it's part of the Blade now. Absolutely solid. Just clean the surface well and wash your hands to avoid any oils weakening the bond.

I'm out of town so I can't post a pic at the moment but I will when I return in a couple days.

Cheers,
Darren

Return to posts index

Leonard Caspari
on Apr 29, 2014 at 7:50:37 am

That's good to hear. I'll take your word for it :)

I'm however now concerned about sunburning the screen with the loop, after reading about several incidents on reduser. But since I could really use the loupe I was thinking about attaching an additional layer of acrylic glass to the Blade. Just in case this might happen.
Due to the construction of the front element there should be enough space to attach a protective glass I guess.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]