FORUMS: list search recent posts

DV vs HDV for Web

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob Gutermuth
DV vs HDV for Web
on Feb 7, 2014 at 2:47:22 am

Hi All,

I have about 15 cameras, mostly Canon... everything from the XL1 to the XL-H1, and some of the smaller/newer cams like the M500, etc (ok, not as new as say the XA20, but still)

Here is my question:

if Im shooting 1080, let's say, with my XL-H1, but the largest size I will ever need is 720x405 for the web, is that still a MUCH better choice than shooting with an XL1s or XL2 at 16x9 which is regular DV at 720x405ish...

in other words, say with the XL2, gives a native 16x9 720 wide image to begin with - will this be as good or better than downscaling my XL-H1 to that size, and yes, say at 60i just to make things far...

ok, so this is more a DV/HDV question rather than a canon specific one, but still...

Same question goes for the 1920x1080 chip cameras - ADHC converted to ProRes, and then downscaled? vs native XL2

Just want to see if it's worth keeping any of my DV cameras anymore....

Thanks,
Bob

Rob Gutermuth
Media Creations

Return to posts index

Bob Dix
Re: DV vs HDV for Web
on Feb 11, 2014 at 5:51:48 am

[Rob Gutermuth] "
Just want to see if it's worth keeping any of my DV cameras anymore...."

Probably not, I would archive them,I now use the Canon HV20 1920 x 1080 Anamorphic just as a back up, but, the video clips out of this camera do not downgrade the out put of the Canon 5 D Mark II or the Pro Sony HXR-NX 30 P nor the Panasonic 3 CCD which is amazing for 720 x 576.
or web work ads etc I do not think HD is any better than a very good
SD unit with a very good lens like the XL-HI

Freelance Imaging & Video
AUSTRALIA

Return to posts index

Rob Gutermuth
Re: DV cameras
on Feb 11, 2014 at 8:08:46 pm

Well, the real question I have is this:

Does anyone still shoot with the XL1, XL1s, XL2 or the GL2, etc - or any DV format?

If so, what are you using these cameras for?

I want to somehow justify keeping them, so wondering if there is a place for these nice cameras?

Thanks

Rob Gutermuth
Media Creations

Return to posts index

Bob Dix
Re: DV cameras
on Feb 12, 2014 at 5:46:49 am
Last Edited By Bob Dix on Feb 12, 2014 at 7:00:24 am

Well the DV's are used a lot in Australia , and you can see the poor results in comparison to HD, but, even a lot of that is poorly shot ????????????

Well the Canon XL-2 and the lens is an extraordinary camera, in my opinion it may exceed the performance of lesser HD cameras merely on lens performance alone if used professionally, a similarly equipped HD would be better if used correctly .

I would love to own one , the GL2 is ok , but, similar to an Canon HV20 anamorphic tape unit which is HDV and not professional ?

Freelance Imaging & Video
AUSTRALIA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]