FORUMS: list search recent posts

c100 image becomes saturated after import

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brandon Lied
c100 image becomes saturated after import
on Jan 31, 2014 at 6:22:03 am

I recently shot an interview using a C100, 5Dmiii and a Nikon D7000. The Canon cameras were set to EOS standard profile and to the same temperature. I adjusted the Nikon to the same temperature as well. To the naked eye all 3 LCD screens on the respective cameras were color matched correctly. After importing to Premiere CC the 5D and Nikon footage looked exactly how I shot it and matched up very nicely. The C100, however, became really saturated and warm. When I go back and compare the C100 LCD playback to my monitor its a night and day difference in color temperatures. The LCD settings on the C100 are on default and the saturation is set to 0. I have matched these cameras before with no issue. It seems that upon import to my computer that the C100 footage changes.

I'm using a late 2012 27in iMac with default settings to monitor my footage. I also have a second LG display.... both monitors are showing the C100 footage as very saturated and the 5D and Nikon footage as normal.

Any ideas of what is going on?

Thanks for the input!

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: c100 image becomes saturated after import
on Jan 31, 2014 at 7:17:45 pm

Can't answer your question or tell you why that's going on... but there are one or two things you can do to zero in on the problem.

You say

[Brandon Lied] "It seems that upon import to my computer that the C100 footage changes."

Well, we don't know that for a fact. It could easily be that your computer is displaying the footage exactly as shot, but your on-board LCD is lying to you. Do the images look the same in the LCD screen and the viewfinder?

If I have this right, you play back the footage in camera and I looks "right" to you on the LCD screen... but in Premiere it is over-saturated, correct? If that's the case, the first investigative step is to see what the footage looks like when you play it back straight from camera, but to a monitor, not the on-board LCD (for reference I'd compare the other two cameras straight out to the same monitor as well). If the footage looks "normal" on that external monitor (same as on the LCD), then something funky is happening with the way your NLE is handling the footage. If it is oversaturated on that monitor (same as you see on the NLE), then it sounds like an on-board LCD issue. It might just need calibrating... or there might be something more nefarious going on.

At any rate, if you were trying to match three cameras during setup, the only way to get that even halfway accurate is to use an external monitor, not the three cameras' individual LCDs. Those can vary very very wildly.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
Re: c100 image becomes saturated after import
on Feb 5, 2014 at 5:23:42 pm

Is this the first time you used Premier CC with the same cameras? Maybe it interpreted the camera differently than CS6. If you have CS6, maybe you can try to import a few clips to compare.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro
with Final Cut Studio Adobe CS6 Production

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>