FORUMS: list search recent posts

C300 On-board Monitor - noise increasing

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Disher
C300 On-board Monitor - noise increasing
on Jan 23, 2014 at 6:57:31 pm

I've been getting more & more pixelated noise on my C-300 on-board monitor on the last couple of shoots. It began on the first shoot after uploading the new firmware update, but wiggling the connection affects it and can usually correct it. It is becoming quickly worse. The upgrade timing is strange but I'm afraid someone may have wound the cable too tight in transport or the like.
Anyone else have this issue?
photo1.jpg

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: C300 On-board Monitor - noise increasing
on Jan 23, 2014 at 7:47:51 pm

Never seen that, but if wiggling the cable helps increase or decrease the problem then no doubt it is a cable/connection issue. I'm sure the fireware update was just an unlikely coincidence and has nothing to do with it.

The question is though... which is bad... the monitor/cable combo?... or the camera/connectors? IF you had access to another C300 you could swap monitors and quickly determine which was the problem child.

Either way though I think it's undoubtedly time for service from Canon.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

John Disher
on Jan 23, 2014 at 10:25:59 pm

Thanks Todd. I'm afraid it probably is Canon time but figured others out there must have had come across this too. And here I was thinking the 5D HDMI outputs were bad.
JOhn

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jan 26, 2014 at 4:51:00 pm

John,

What should I look out for while monitoring the 5D out to a monitor. We will be using a 5D for shoots and need to have the image on a monitor. Hoping to get a cordless kit for this but for now it's a mini to full HDMI cable. Any advice to do this without straining the port? I usually velcro the cords after a loop to take the strain off but HDMI is pretty stiff stuff to work with. Have no idea why pro gear didn't just stay with SDI/BNC ports.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Jan 26, 2014 at 6:31:22 pm

Craig...

If you use rods/rails with your setup, you should grab one or more of these little guys...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cable-Lock-HDMI-Saver-15mm-Rod-Clamp-Rail-Block-fr-...

We use them all the time to hold video, audio, and HDMI cables. Each lock will hold two cables. Much MUCH easier to use than Velcro ties, you can pop the cables in and out easily, and they keep them secure and locked absolutely firmly in place with no wiggle like Velcro or other kinds of flexible ties, so there's much less strain on the ports.

By the way, they are available on eBay from other sellers for a little bit less than the one in the link... that was just the listing that had the clearest picture that showed it in use.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jan 26, 2014 at 6:46:59 pm

Yeah thanks that looks good.

It all depends on grant I applied for. It includes the red rock system and rails and snake for follow focus.

And a flanders monitor which accepts an HDMI input with an adapter plug to SDI rather than needing an HDMI to SDI converter. Or I could record to a Ki Pro which has HDMI in and SDI out.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]