FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compare Canon 5D Mark3 vs Canon C100

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Schwarzenberger
Compare Canon 5D Mark3 vs Canon C100
on Jan 7, 2014 at 8:10:17 am

Curious if anyone has any input on comparing the quality of video the C100 brings to the table vs the 5D.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Compare Canon 5D Mark3 vs Canon C100
on Jan 7, 2014 at 4:04:42 pm

As far as I'm concerned those are two completely different tools... one's a wrench and one's a screwdriver. Both great tools, but it just depends on whether you need to turn a bolt or a screw.

I'll preface this by saying I'm not a fan of using DSLRs for shooting motion video. Yes, people do it every day, and many with great results... but it's not primarily what they were made for.

You might get slightly better image quality from the 5D, but I think it would be negligible and doubt your eyeballs would even know it. The C100 however would be much more suited to pick-it-up-and-go video shooting, with easy controls and ergonomics that are much more specifically designed for that kind of work... and no hoops to jump through to get the exact picture control you are looking for.

With either Camera, though, it will come down to the lenses... great glass on the C100 will beat the pants off mediocre or just "decent" glass on the 5D... and vice versa.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Warren Eig
on Jan 7, 2014 at 6:01:27 pm

Another way to look at is the 5D is more like a film camera for shooting motion pictures-- you need a follow focus, specialized tools, etc. The C100 is like a video camera, you pick it up and shoot by yourself.

That being said, they are both great cameras.

Warren Eig
O 310-470-0905

email: warren@babyboompictures.com

REEL: http://www.babyboompictures.com/BabyBoomPictures/Reels.html

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Jan 7, 2014 at 6:08:04 pm
Last Edited By Todd Terry on Jan 7, 2014 at 6:08:39 pm

Very true, good addition.

I still wouldn't shoot a C100 without rods and a follow focus system though, and probably a matte box.

But it's still definitely a much more grab-n-go package than a DSLR.

I've honestly never shot with the C100, but I shoot the C300 (PL version) every day and it's easily my favorite camera ever.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Kevin Schwarzenberger
on Jan 8, 2014 at 4:43:35 pm

Thanks for the info! A little more about me; I shoot everything for Scenic Road Productions - feel free to check out the look at http://www.scenicroadproductions.com.

I shoot most days out of the year and have learned to be very efficient on location by using both the 7D and the 5D. I use long lenses on the 7D to take advantage of the cropped sensor (getting more focal length out of my glass while not having to swap out lenses). In turn I put the wide lenses on the 5D.

Given the fact that the focal length is so different in this case on the two cameras they match up brilliantly. I'm also very fortunate because I have almost every L-series lens I can imagine ever using (that said I'm debating purchasing more like the rectilinear [where did it go, I'm not seeing it on Canon's line up?], the 100-400 and the 180 macro).

My dilemma; I don't know if anyone will notice a difference if I switch to the C100. I'd probably put down the 5D and keeping running long-lens stuff on the 7D. The price point however makes me really scratch my chin over it though. I'm told clients would notice the difference if I went with the C300 in which case I'd likely need to put down the 7D and put the long lens on the 5D (even though I'd lose that focal length) just to get more closely matching camera.

Return to posts index

Jeffrey Carter
on Jan 9, 2014 at 3:52:33 pm

The C100 has way better dynamic range and is sharper than the 5D mkIII. Now that they dropped the price to $4,999 it's a better deal (although more costly than a 5D). The great thing about this camera over DSLR's is that it is a video camera. Time code, quick white balance (no taking a still and setting that in the menus), waveform, focusing magnification during shooting, XLR audio in with audio meters, etc.

And the form factor is great. I love shooting this camera over my DSLRs. Of course if you need to do stills as well, then the 5D would be a better choice. I have no regrets buying the C100...

Return to posts index

Malcolm Matusky
on Mar 3, 2014 at 4:35:11 pm

Depends upon your work. I went from a 7d & 60d to a C100 & Ninja 2, and love the camera. I don't use a "rig" with it, but I do have a "spring pod" to "float" the camera in front of me, it's a great device for cameras that do not balance on the shoulder. I'm thinking of adding a BMCc 2.5k camera to the C100 rather than shooting with the DSLRs for B-roll, I need longer run times for interviews and with pro res the BMCC is fine. The 5DIII is quite a different camera, not as useful for my work, but it could be for yours.

Camera's and lenses are "just tools" but their choice does limit/enable how we make films. Are you making feature like films with a big crew? or fast paced observational documentaries/ reality TV? The right choice of equipment can enhance your production, the wrong one will drag it down. Being a professional is knowing what gear to use on a particular project and get it right every time. I don't' get paid to learn on the job, I do personal work for that.

Cheers,

M

Malcolm
http://www.malcolmproductions.com

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jan 9, 2014 at 8:08:44 pm

You might want to take a look at the canon 70D if you already have all those lenses. It really is like the 7D only designed with video in mind. It's still not a camcorder. But Canon developed a camcorder style focusing system for it. And a pull out LCD which works well on a tripod. As far as matching the look of shots between cameras, I think an awful lot can be done with color matching in post; and if you are using them at different focal lengths I can't imagine the viewing public would care. If you are doing multi-cam within the same scene, then you might as well have matching cameras. Looks to me like you are very good with the 5D. You could get another one and a sound devices mixer/recorder for audio. The mkiii does, however, have decent audio compared to most. I wish I had your collection of L series lenses. Just got a 5D and have begun using it for stills. Love it.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV30/40, Sony Z7U, VX2000, PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Jan 11, 2014 at 6:10:33 pm

I own both a 5Dmkiii and a C100. I rarely use the 5D anymore. The C100 is superior in almost every way. Only problem is depending on whether you need to shoot a lot of stills with your work (I suppose a wedding shooter might). Then the 5D shines. But the quality of the C100 is superb and the package will use all your canon lenses, Batteries run for hours without buying an external battery back like on the 5D. I don't think you'd regret getting the C100.

Al

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jan 11, 2014 at 8:03:39 pm

Do a google search for c100 vs 5D. Canon clearly meant the c100 as a video shooters step up from the 5D and reviews agree with Al. It is more expensive but can use the same lenses.

Hard to keep up the way things keep changing. I love the 5D for stills. Which of course is off topic.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV30/40, Sony Z7U, VX2000, PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]