FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon C100 questions

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Weinberg
Canon C100 questions
on Nov 1, 2013 at 10:10:13 pm

new C100 owner here.. loving it but have a few newbie questions:

- i'm curious why the "shutter off" setting is 1/24 as opposed to 1/48? it would be great to lock the shutter so that when i press the joystick i'm only cycling through aperture / ISO / WB, but i've never shot at 1/24 and am wondering why you would? i haven't studied the difference in motion cadence between 1/24 and 1/48, but i've always thought doubling your framerate was the standard.

- is there really no standard histogram??

- is there any reason not to leave flicker reduction on auto as opposed to only turning it on when needed?

- how often is it really necessary to auto-black balance?

appreciate the help!

Return to posts index

Malcolm Matusky
Re: Canon C100 questions
on Nov 19, 2013 at 11:20:30 pm

1/24 for "low light" not great for objects in motion or panning/tilt. 1/48 standard for 24p video; 1/60 standard for 30p/60i video. All other shutter speeds/shutter angles (film speak) will affect image in ways you have to test for to see if it's ok for your needs.

Histogram? Use the waveform monitor!

Flicker- test as needed

Black balance: Every day, or when there are large temperature changes the camera is subject to.

Malcolm
http://www.malcolmproductions.com

Return to posts index

Adam Weinberg
on Nov 24, 2013 at 11:09:03 pm

hi malcolm - re: 1/24 for "low light", yup, i've always understood everything you wrote to be the case.. my question was more why Canon would chose 1/24 to be the "default" shutter when turning the shutter off, as opposed to 1/48. if 1/48 was the setting for shutter off, i wouldn't accidentally change it and it would be one less option to cycle through with the joystick when quickly switching settings, but it's instead 1/24 for some reason, which i feel like i will barely use.. makes no sense to me!

Return to posts index

Malcolm Matusky
on Nov 26, 2013 at 6:12:14 am

Strange, my "normal" setting is 1/48, I set it when I bought the camera and have not changed it since. The camera has kept that setting all along. Perhaps there is a "temporary" vs "permanent" way to set the shutter? Never had that problem. I would suggest going into the camera set up and adjust the shutter speed there. I'll be downloading the new firmware soon, do be sure to copy all your settings so you can reload them from a card.

Malcolm
http://www.malcolmproductions.com

Return to posts index

Steven Anderson
on Feb 6, 2017 at 3:34:03 pm

I realize this answer is way overdue, but in case someone else wants to know a way to turn off the shutter but retain your setting of 1/48, here's how I did it; Set your shutter to desired speed/angle (I recommend setting it to an angle180° instead of 1/48 speed because it will automatically double my frame rate if I switch to 30fps. 180° at 24fps=1/48, 180° at 30fps=1/60)

Ok, once thats set and you don't want to accidentally change the shutter speed, go to the LCD/VF Setup option in the menu, choose "Custom Display 1" and hide the shutter speed by turning it off. Now you'll be able to cycle between WB and ISO without the fear of accidentally changing the shutter speed.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]