FORUMS: list search recent posts

Breaks in time code

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joel Servetz
Breaks in time code
on Oct 25, 2013 at 1:41:18 am

I have an XH-A1S that has been great until recently. During the last few long form shoots, when I capture the footage into Sony Vegas Pro 10 for editing I'm noticing that, at random times there is a sudden jump in time code, typically a skip of 15 or fewer frames, resulting in a sudden jump and loss of a portion of a word. I've managed to edit around these issues but this has become a serious issue. I've played back the tape in the camera to verify that it's not a capture problem and it's definitely on the tape. It doesn't matter which brand or length of tape, the camera is doing this randomly. In a one hour recording it might happen anywhere from a couple of times to as many as 15, at random intervals and random locations. My guess is there may be a transport problem that needs repair. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Joel Servetz
RGB Media Services, LLC
Sarasota, Fl
videobyjoel@aol.com
http://www.rgbmediaservices.com

Return to posts index

Roger Van Duyn
Re: Breaks in time code
on Oct 29, 2013 at 12:32:59 pm

Hi Joel.

In the past couple of years I was experiencing more and more tape glitches on my HDV cameras. I had an XH-A1S, an older XH-A1, and two HV-30s. The glitches were random, and on all four cameras. (Won't give you the detailed trouble shooting routine similar to when trouble shoot instrument problems in the lab I went through with the cameras).

By the trouble shooting scheme, I finally decided the problem appeared to be a higher percentage of defective tapes than in years past. Perhaps Sony and the rest don't even manufacture their own anymore, I don't know. At any rate, something needed to be done about the problem.

Now, I've cut back to two cameras, got rid of the HV-30s, and just use DN-60s on both, without a tape in the camera. At first I did use a tape too, but the tape issues seemed to cause issues with the whole system. Now, with no tapes, so far, no glitches at all with the DN-60s, not one lost frame since purchase. Just be sure to use good cards (San Disk).

Just my opinion, but you're not alone when it comes to tape glitches.

Roger

Return to posts index

Joel Servetz
Re: Breaks in time code
on Oct 29, 2013 at 4:48:48 pm

Thanks Roger. As I was reading your reply I remembered that I encountered this same issue while using someone else's XH-A1 & A1S on a shoot of some surgery in California three years ago. I do have a DN-60 so maybe that's my only recourse at this point.

Joel Servetz
RGB Media Services, LLC
Sarasota, Fl
videobyjoel@aol.com
http://www.rgbmediaservices.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]