FORUMS: list search recent posts

Pr PRO CS6 with Canon XF300 File Structure

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alan Balch
Pr PRO CS6 with Canon XF300 File Structure
on Aug 21, 2013 at 2:54:47 pm

Hello all,
I've searching for some info on the cow and haven't found quite what I'm looking for so I'll make a new post.
Here is some specs to help.
I'm shooting with a new Canon XF300 in 1920x1080P
Editing with Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 on an iMac.

I used to shoot with a Panasonic P2 so I'm familiar with the .MXF file format but I have just purchased a Canon XF300 and went out to shoot some video yesterday. I'm still trying to understand the file structure of the XF300, though.
When I put my CF card in and use Adobe Bridge to see what's on the card, I notice that each clip has it's own
folder and inside each folder is my .MXF file along with 3 others they are .CIF; .XML; .SIF

Upon ingest into Premiere, the .MXF file is brought over just fine but I get an error message with the other clips.

So, here is are my questions:
1.) What are the .CIF; .XML and .SIF files?
2.) Is there a way to lump all my .MXF files together into one folder for ease of ingest? In other words, if I have 50 clips, I don't want to have go open 50 different folders to hunt for the .MXF. Perhaps Premiere will do this for me?
3.) There is some software from Canon that came with the camera (Canon XF Utility). Has anyone found this software useful? From reading about it, I think it does something similar to Bridge.

Thanks for your help!

Alan Balch

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Pr PRO CS6 with Canon XF300 File Structure
on Aug 21, 2013 at 11:34:31 pm

Yes, install the Canon XF Utility software that came with your camera. That does exactly what you need (and that's what it's made for).

With it you can back up a card with one click, take the individual .MXF files and merge them, output them, rename them, organize them, do whatever...

I'm not sure why you haven't installed that already, it doesn't bear any research and it's nothing like Bridge... pop the disc in (or download it from Canon), it's literally a two-minute install and you're good to go.

You can certainly do it the way you have been, but it means hunting and pecking through nests and nests of individual folders to find each particular clip (and BTW, you only need the large .MXF file that is in each folder if you do it that way, you do not need the other three little files). The XF Utility was made to avoid all of that instantly.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Alan Balch
on Aug 22, 2013 at 1:27:31 pm

T2,
Once again you have 'saved the day'! Thank you so much! I did install the XF utility yesterday after this post and sure enough, it's a lot easier to move around in.

I thought I read somewhere that Canon recently changed it's file format, is that why the extra files appear with the .MXF?

Can you think of some thing advantageous about using Bridge instead of the Canon Utility, or will it just make life harder?

Thanks again for all your help!

Alan Balch
Videographer/Carle Foundation Hosptial
alan.balch@carle.com

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Aug 22, 2013 at 2:54:51 pm

[Alan Balch] "Can you think of some thing advantageous about using Bridge instead of the Canon Utility"

No, none.

I don't think Bridge will even do that.

To me, there's no better option than "works perfectly," which is what the XF Utility does.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Scott Hiddelston
on Sep 14, 2013 at 4:15:06 pm

A little late to the party I know, but I use PP 5.5 and in the bottom left area of the screen you should have a "media browser" tab. If you have ingested the files from your camera using the Canon XF Utility, then if you point the media browser to the xf utility folder you will see your files there minus all the additional unwanted files. Just drag them up to the project window and you're done.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]