FORUMS: list search recent posts

C300 - bad vignetting through entire zoom range on 24-105

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Seth Marshall
C300 - bad vignetting through entire zoom range on 24-105
on Aug 6, 2013 at 12:23:11 pm

I've never noticed to this extent on my 5D's in the past, but yesterday on a C300 shoot using the 24-70 and 24-105 there was a big difference in exposure from wide open to zoomed in (maybe 1.5 stops).

I'm used to vignetting at the very end of the lens but this started and continued all the way through the entire zoom range. I had peripheral correction enabled but its effect did nothing. You can clearly see this on the waveform.

It was to the point where I definitely do not want to invest in any more EF L glass or buy this camera. In addition the LCD looked a bit different from my other monitors (but we didn't have enough time to try to get them closer) and there seemed to be a green cast all day - after trying everything I ended up subtracting some from the white balance setting but since I didn't trust my monitor/LCDs hopefully that wasn't a mistake.

I would like to know all your experience in these matters to see if I'm the only one.

Return to posts index

Jeffrey Farrell
Re: C300 - bad vignetting through entire zoom range on 24-105
on Aug 9, 2013 at 10:30:57 pm

Hey Seth,

I have 2 C300s and 2 24-105s and I have never seen the problem you describe. If you rented it I would certainly talk to the rental house about this.

Jeffrey S. Farrell
DP - Director
http://www.8Kproductions.com
Canon Camera Rentals Utah

Return to posts index

Seth Marshall
on Aug 12, 2013 at 1:52:00 am

thanks for the reply. because I didn't hear anything for the first few days after asking I posted this question to another forum and was told this is a common issue. that lens is a zoom through constant f/4 but apparently the T stop changes 2/3 a stop from wide to telephoto.

It may have been my camera (which was a rental) because it was very apparent in the lit studio I was shooting in. All the way wide I my talents face would be covered in zebras and they will all disappear about halfway zoomed in only to get much darker at the end of the lens. Zebra's just confirmed what I was already seeing, it was pretty obvious. Checking the waveform you could clearly see this too.

Next time you have your C300 out with that lens would you mind please checking your waveform and see if you're loosing any light like I was? thanks!

Return to posts index

Adam Weinberg
on Aug 19, 2013 at 4:35:09 am

the vignetting sounds like an anomaly, but the loss of light at the telephoto end is definitely a known issue with the 24-105

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]