FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon c100 audio inputs - how badly does it need a field mixer?

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Larry Watts
Canon c100 audio inputs - how badly does it need a field mixer?
on Jul 27, 2013 at 8:31:25 pm

I know a field mixer is very important, but I need to prioritize purchases and also want to keep my field kit small.
So, my question is can I limp along trusting the C100 to handle actors dialogue for a while until I get the money for a sound devices mixer, or do I forgo an extra light instead?

I know the question is impossible to answer at face value.

How good or bad are the mic pre's on the C100?

Does the C100 provide phantom power? I get mine thursday, but i think it does. and yes I will test things, but I need to get my shooting kit ready ASAP.

Mixer suggestions welcome. Ideally I'd like to have three inputs which puts a SD device around 1500.00

I do have a zoom H4N recorder.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Canon c100 audio inputs - how badly does it need a field mixer?
on Jul 27, 2013 at 10:46:10 pm

Just depends on what your needs are and how you work. I personally haven't used a field mixer in, oh gosh, I can't even remember the last time. If shooting single-camera style and single mic (and I almost always just use one boom mic) there's really not much necessity for a mixer (although the sound guys don't like knowing or hearing that).

Of course if you are shooting with multiple mics in situations where you have to ride the mix or inputs a lot, then yes you might want a mixer and a sound guy. As I said, just depends on what and how you shoot.

Yes the C100 definitely has 48v phantom power. I don't shoot with the C100 I shoot the C300, but I'm betting the pre-amps are exactly the same in both cameras. If so, they are perfectly fine amps, quiet as a mouse... I don't think you'll have any concerns there.

Like you, we also have a H4N but it doesn't see too much use anymore except for wild recording. We'll shoot double system sound for film or DSLR shooting, but never have with the C300.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Malcolm Matusky
Re: Canon c100 audio inputs - how badly does it need a field mixer?
on Aug 9, 2013 at 9:27:28 pm

"How badly" ? Not at all.

I have a C100 and use it without a mixer, one shotgun and one lav. The gain controls are easy enough to adjust, but will be noticeable if you are hand holding. Naturally if you want more than two mics going into this camera, you have to use a mixer or a multi-track.

I have a 6-track Tascam, and probably would use that for my primary audio and just record a "scratch track" on the C-100 for pluraleyes to synch up, I did this on a round table interview with 6 people and it works fine. You could also use a wireless unit to feed the output of the multi-track and record the mixed scratch track on the C100, I have a spare wireless unit but have not had the time to test this yet.

Malcolm
http://www.malcolmproductions.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]