FORUMS: list search recent posts

1D C Video Output is Delayed on both LCD and HDMI Feed

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Jones
1D C Video Output is Delayed on both LCD and HDMI Feed
on Jul 18, 2013 at 4:15:16 pm

My 1D C camera, and at least one other I've seen, exhibits a 1/4-second delay between what happens in front of the camera and when it appears on the built-in LCD display OR through the HDMI out.

CPS is suggesting, both in the US and Canada, that this is "normal functioning," but if you are monitoring audio and watching the monitor closely, it's pretty distracting.

I've posted a short video on Vimeo to illustrate this phenomenon. PLEASE have a look and tell me whether your cameras are behaving in the same manner.

https://vimeo.com/70518748

Any help would really be appreciated. I don't believe Canon can market this as a "Cinema" camera if the audio and video don't sync at the monitor!

I'm reposting this on this forum, because it doesn't seem to have generated much interest with the Canon DSLR group.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: 1D C Video Output is Delayed on both LCD and HDMI Feed
on Jul 18, 2013 at 4:47:09 pm

I have no answer, but was actually curious enough to throw your clip on a timeline so I could measure it.

The lag seems to be four frames... or about 1/8th of a second at 30fps, or 1/6th of a second at 24fps. Yes, very noticeable.

I'm not surprised there is a lag via HDMI, which is not uncommon (although usually that's only one or two frames). What is a little puzzling is that there is also a lag with the on-body LCD. That one is surprising.

It very well likely may be that it just "is what it is." I'd also be interested in finding out what someone more learned than me would say about that.

Frankly, I wish Canon would not market so many of their cameras as cinema cameras, when they're not... they're DSLRs that just incidentally shoot video. In Canon's words the 1D is " a breakthrough in cinematography in a DSLR specifically designed for video." Yeah, sorry Canon, it's just not... even though I love your cameras. In a way it's a little surprising that Canon takes that marketing path, when they do sell "real" cine cameras as well (and I shoot with one of them every day). Then again, I'm sure it helps them sell more camera bodies.

Hope to hear what the real answer is as well....

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Jason Jones
Re: 1D C Video Output is Delayed on both LCD and HDMI Feed
on Jul 18, 2013 at 11:15:03 pm

I'm in touch with the "resident engineer" here at Canon Canada, and he was supposed to speak to Canon Japan last evening regarding this issue, but I haven't heard anything today. I will repost when I get any information about it - it IS a curious phenomenon, and one that should be at least taken into consideration by anybody thinking about using one of these as an A cam!

Cheers!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]