FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon C300 and radio mics?

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nik Read
Canon C300 and radio mics?
on Jul 14, 2013 at 9:17:39 pm

Hi all,
After 25 years filming with "traditional" video cameras I am just about to make the move over to the C300, but I have one issue that despite looking everywhere for, I cannot find any information:
Where do you attach the radio mic receivers to the camera? So often I have to record conversations between two people, so would need to have the two receivers on the camera, but can't see where you would actually put them!!!
Do you use some kind of double hotshoe attachment, or something else?

For those of you that use the camera, please can you offer me any advice?
Thanks so much in advance,

Nik Read
UK

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Canon C300 and radio mics?
on Jul 15, 2013 at 3:30:49 am

Hi Nik...

Mine is a little bit of speculation here. I do use the C300. And I do have radio mics. But I've never used them together. As luck would have it, although we have been using the C300 for almost a year I just have not had any need for that combo (I rarely use radios or hardwired lavs either, we almost always boom for sound).

That being said, it shouldn't be too hard. Sounds like you have a male shoe of some kind on your receivers. Well, the C300 body has one shoe on top. You need one shoe to attach the monitor/audio module. But if you put the handle on top, there are two shoes there. One will go for the monitor, and the other you can use for your receivers. If you want two receivers in two shoes, you just need a dual shoe adapter. There are tons of them, but here are a couple... two double-shoes and one "channel" type...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/303528-REG/Frezzolini_96316_FDSA_Dual...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/126229-REG/Cool_Lux_MD3000_MD_3000_Li...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/931792-REG/tether_tools_rsex8_rock_so...

However, if I'm using two receivers, I just stick 'em together with Velcro. Ours are Lectrosonics, and even for high-end pro mics they are still small enough to do that with. The receivers are about the size and shape of a pack of cigarettes (maybe a little bigger), and we have Velcro on both sides... hooks on one side, loops on the other. So after one receiver is mounted, we just stick the other one on top of it.

I think you'll find though that most people don't use the shoes for mounting receivers (our receivers don't have any kind of shoe provisions on them). Probably like most C300 shooters we always have our body mounted on a baseplate with rods (for matte box and follow focus). When I have the need for the radio mics (and I'm sure it eventually will happen) I'll probably just use longer rods so they stick out the rear a bit, long enough to put an accessory plate on the rear rods and stack the receivers up there.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Nik Read
Re: Canon C300 and radio mics?
on Jul 15, 2013 at 3:56:31 pm

thanks Todd

Really appreciate your reply and also thanks for the links. Very kind of you I will certainly give it a try.
regards
Nik

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]