FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon 5D MKIII with magic Lantern Vs Canon C100 with Atomos Ninja 2

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roger Zammit
Canon 5D MKIII with magic Lantern Vs Canon C100 with Atomos Ninja 2
on Jul 9, 2013 at 1:34:09 pm

Hi

I'm in the market for a new camera and would appreciate some advice.

My Budget is in the €5000 range and the camera will be used for our lower end projects.

After reading half the internet i've come to the conclusion that what would fit our needs would be either the 5D MKII with Magic Lantern and the atomos Ninja 2 or The Canon C100 With the atomos Ninja 2.

I was also considering the Atomos Samurai Blade with an HDMI to SDI converter (either by Atomos or BM) but i'm not sure if that would give the full functionality between camera and the recorder. Would it? Start/stop, timecode etc withe the video conversion?

Which Camera would give me the best DR, Detail and a more cinematic look?

I was also considering the FS700 + Samurai blade but recently got to test it (without external recorder and without new firmware 3.0) and i wasnt impressed. Looked very handycam like, would the SLog2 change that?

Any feedback would be appreciated

Return to posts index

Warren Eig
Re: Canon 5D MKIII with magic Lantern Vs Canon C100 with Atomos Ninja 2
on Jul 9, 2013 at 4:12:21 pm

The C100 will feel more familiar if you are used to shooting with cinema or video cameras-- built in eye piece, ergonomics, etc.

The 5D gives you that big sensor and dramatic filmic look, but you need to get more accessories to make it really shootable for moving images.

That being said, try them both. Bring a CF card to a camera store and demo them. Look at the results and decide.

Warren Eig
O 310-470-0905

email: warren@babyboompictures.com

REEL: http://www.babyboompictures.com/BabyBoomPictures/Reels.html

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Jul 9, 2013 at 4:59:51 pm

I'd take Warren's advice and try them both.

But barring that... I can certainly make a quick knee-jerk recommendation...

If you are primarily shooting stills, go for the 5D. If you are shooting motion video, go for the C100. That's what each of those was made for. They are both great tools, and they will both certainly do the "other" thing... but I have long contended (and still do) that using a DSLR for motion video is using a really nice screwdriver when what you really need is a wrench.

I'd think you'd be really happy with the C100. I use its big brother the C300 every day, and it's my favorite camera ever (and the C100 has many identical features). Stunning images, full S35mm sensor, unbelievable low-light capability... and it works like a video camera is supposed to, not something that you have to hack and add on to in order to make it kinda convenient to use. You can also paint the image in camera to just about any look you want, or shoot flat C-log to add a LUT in post and grade it however you like. If you like the 5D look, you can bake in a Canon EOS DSLR color profile as well. All of the C-series cameras (100/300/500) look very cinematic and filmic to me, whereas the 5D looks very, well, "DSLRy" to me. Not bad... in fact the images are really great. But they definitely look like DSLR-originated images to me... and look neither like video nor real film.

I'm not totally sure why you need the Atomos, though... especially since you said this was for lower-end projects. I'd almost guarantee you that your eyeballs wouldn't be able to tell which images were recorded externally and which were recorded on the camera's CF cards. Maybe if you were planning a lot of greenscreen work then it would be worth recording those shots externally, but otherwise I wouldn't bother.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Roger Zammit
on Jul 9, 2013 at 7:47:22 pm

Thanks Todd

Great info, The Atomos is to get the 422 out of it for more grading possibilities and yes chromakey. When i say low end i mean the stuff i won't rent an Alexa/Epic for.

Return to posts index

John Young
on Jul 9, 2013 at 10:08:08 pm

Roger,
I think your decision should be based more on what kind of work you do.

If you work primarily in controlled environments where you can really take your time and craft your image, then the hacked 5D will work great for you. You can take the time to record dual system audio and sync it later (or try and deal with the headache that is audio piped into your DSLR. You are able to run to to your bag, brag the ND filter, and screw it on (or drop it in your matte box holder) if you need to.

But if you shoot a lot of documentary-style, run and gun, one man band type content (like I do) the C100 makes a lot more sense. I really like being able to grab my camera and just go shoot. And the images are almost comparable to a hacked 5D.

I just pitched my boss the purchase of a C100. Here is why that camera is a better choice for the work we do.
-Built in audio-- messing with an external recorder is just a hassle. When I am often in charge of the image, the audio, and sometimes conducting the interview as well, my add-on Zoom H4N just doesn't work for me.
-built in ND filters. We do a lot of docu-style shoots in uncontrolled environments where we have no control over lighting (and often the lighting will change mid-shot, when a cloud moves in).
-form factor- grab it and shoot
-image quality- the C100 has all those advantages over DSLR type shooting for us, and the image beats DSLR and comes close to RAW when it comes to Dynamic Range, depth-of-field, highlight rolloff, overall cinematic feel.

For us, I think it is the right choice. I guess we will see when I actually have the camera in hand. I hope that helps in your decision.

John

John Young
Surrounding Media
Follow on Twitter

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Jul 10, 2013 at 2:25:00 pm

I agree with many of what has been said. I have both a 5Dmkiii and a C100. I rarely use the 5D anymore. Even with the notion of a hacked situation, unless I had a very specific theatrical piece to shoot, I would choose the C100 every time over the 5D. Much easier to setup, it's a dream to use, and the picture quality is superb, even without the use of the external SSD. The lens choice seems to make more of an issue than the camera. Yes, the 5D image, especially hacked, will be superb and a bit more unique than the C100. But if you are near a big city, try them out. I find myself using the 5D only for stills now, or as a B roll camera.

Al

Return to posts index

Joshua Kerr
on Oct 21, 2013 at 12:25:16 pm

Hi there,

I agree with all that has been said above, it really depends on what you need it for and your workflow. Personally I shoot a lot of narrative short films and love the look the 5d gives me and the dynamic range from the hack. However the C100 is very easy to use if you need to make quick adjustments on the fly.

Click to view my video production companyOr visit our facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/nowfilm

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]