FORUMS: list search recent posts

cant transfer, is my HV30 broken?

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Per Olsson
cant transfer, is my HV30 broken?
on Jun 26, 2013 at 5:23:25 pm

Hi!

Ive been trying to transfer my footage from my Canon HV30 camera with both FInal Cut pro 3 and final cut X and imovie without success. Im afraid my camera is broken. Here´s what i tried:

1) new cable to eliminate broken cable
2) tried with all different kind of settings in final cut (my footage is in HDV)
3) resetting the camera with the reset button on the camera

Question:
1) Any special setting for output on the HV30 or any other setting that I might consider
2) how can I see if my camera have any contact with the computer at all? any where in system preferences or anywhere else?
3) I tried with the HDMI output into my projector and that works without problems. Are there any way of converting that into firewire for input into my Mac?
4) Can it be some problem with operatingsystem? using 10.7.5

I got two macs and tried with both:
  • Mac OS X 10.7.5, 2.2 Ghz Intel Core i7 with: out from camera -> FW400 HD -> FW400-FW800 cable -> FW800 input in MAC

• Mac OS X 10.7.5, Intel Core 2 Duo with: out from camera -> FW400 HD -> FW400-FW800 cable -> FW800 input in MAC

• Return to posts index

Craig Alan
    Re: cant transfer, is my HV30 broken?
    on Jul 10, 2013 at 3:18:54 am

Canon cams have a long history of this type of problem and it can be intermittent and very frustrating. Make sure the firewire cable you are using is good by seeing if another cam is recognized by the computer. You can open disc utility to see what devices are connected to the Mac. It is possible that the firewire port got blown on either the cam or Mac. Can the Mac recognize a firewire drive? The last time I went through this with the same check list as yourself, the only way I got it to work was by going out the canon to a firewire drive that had both 400 and 800 ports. I went mini to firewire 400 into the drive and then used an 800 firewire out the drive to the computer. After all else failed that worked. So either both mini-800-firewire cables I tried with the cam were bad or the Mac just did not like Canon’s 800-firewire signal. I'll get around to testing it again with a new firewire cable but my test did prove that there is nothing wrong with the Mac or the cam. By the way I called Canon tech support twice and the first time the guy told me that Canon’s have trouble communicating with Mac’s 800 firewire. The second guy tested it with the same camera and Imac and it worked. Mine was a Canon HV40. One cool solution that you might consider is recording to a video recorder through the HDMI out. You can still record to tape as a backup but you’ll bypass the HDV compression to the recorder and you’ll be able to transfer the files digitally instead of capturing the tape which is always a pain. They are expensive though. Here’s a very good one: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/735435-REG/AJA_KI_PRO_MINI_R0_Ki_Pro_....

But there are cheaper ones.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV30/40, Sony Z7U, VX2000, PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
    © 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
    [TOP]