FORUMS: list search recent posts

C100 Greenscreen issue

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Hetzer
C100 Greenscreen issue
on May 30, 2013 at 2:43:46 pm

I was excited to shoot some green screen with the Canon C100 with the Ninja and the better color space but I am having an issue with the chroma green appearing very flat with very little chroma. I am lighting as normal and I am looking at my Marshall HD monitor the camera LCD and the Ninja. It just has no pop. it looks just as flat when I put the footage in my editor and I have trouble pulling a good key. Skin tones and other colors look fine. I have tried various picture profiles and get the same "flat" results on the green screen. Anyone else have this issue? The chroma Blue just "pops" fine.

Thanks for any input.

Return to posts index

Travis Wine
Re: C100 Greenscreen issue
on Jul 21, 2013 at 2:35:38 pm

What were your settings. I know that C-log or DR may be your culprit here. I am getting ready to shoot a project and wondering if I should shoot standard EOS to maintain good color. I also heard you should bring your sharpness down to -7.

Return to posts index

Travis Wine
Re: C100 Greenscreen issue
on Aug 27, 2013 at 11:21:51 pm

I own a c100. I just filmed 34 interviews on a green screen in 6 days with the Ninja 2 while recording to AVCHD internally at the same time. I was shooting in DR mode.

It's ok if the screen is a flat green color as long as the subject/talent is not wearing this shade of green. The secret is making sure the green screen is evenly lit. Light has to be evenly lit on the green screen. You will need two lights for this.

Once you chroma key your talent/subject in your editor, you can manipulate the color of the talent/ subject without effecting the chroma key. Or at least I can in FCP-X.

I will also be the first person to argue that avchd transcoded to ProRes will hold up just as well as the Ninja 2 recording to ProRes. If you go to my site traviswinevideo.com you will see my green screen example in the demo reel. The footage is the internal AVCHD transcoded to ProRes. This saves a lot of storage. My demo will show an older man behind a green screen then I cut in every step. I used the C100 for this.

Having a Ninja 2 will not make up for an un-properly lit green screen. And I am not saying that you did this, but I always and will always say that if the green screen is done correctly, I don't care what your using as long as you transcode to ProRes, you will have a clean key. It's also possible to have a clean key with AVCHD natively. Now I understand the Ninja 2 records to ProRes. I own one. But here is the main reason green screens look bad. People put their subjects/talents too close to the green screen, so when the light hitting the green screen reflects, it can bleed / shine on a talent who is too close. Then when you key, you will see some of your talent disappear. I always keep my talent or subjects 12 feet away from the green screen. I also make sure the screen is evenly lit. Do these two major points and you will always have a clean key.

As for my Ninja 2, I mainly bought this for color grading shots. This is where it really shines for me.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]