FORUMS: list search recent posts

C100 Matte Box

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Hetzer
C100 Matte Box
on May 23, 2013 at 6:21:47 pm

I am looking for a reasonably priced matte box w/filter holder for my C100. Anyone find a good solution?
I picked up a "Digital Matte Box M2 kit" but I am unable to get the matte box high enough to center my lens and have the lens donut fit in the box. I have looked at a few others including the Red rock Micro but it has the same height adjustment parameters as the Digital Matte box

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: C100 Matte Box
on May 23, 2013 at 6:51:16 pm

The issue is probably not so much your matte box (which is probably fine, as is the Redrock one)... the issue is probably the baseplate/rods that you are using.

I ran into this issue with my C300 (which is exactly the same shape as your C100). Because the camera has such a tall weird shape, when you put it on many baseplates that makes it too high for accessories like the matte box and other things to fit. You might find the same issue with your follow-focus unit.

One solution is to use one of the super-thin baseplates that are made just for the C100/C300/C500. They are really skinny and don't raise the camera up much, and then your usual rods-based accessories will fit just fine.

We use the one made by Zacuto...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/841128-REG/Zacuto_Z_CSB_C300_STUDIO_B...

Unfortunately it is not cheap at about $400, but as you can see it is only barely taller than the diameter of the rods, so it doesn't raise the camera up much at all and matte boxes etc. now fit well within their adjustment range.

We bought this one because at the time it was the only one available (the C300 had just come out). There might be other companies making cheaper-alternative "low profile" bases now, too.

The alternative is to continue using whatever baseplate you have but add an offset riser clamp to the front of your rods so you can add some more shorty rods that are raised up...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pro-4-holes-rod-offset-Raiser-clamp-for-15mm-DSLR-R...

This will work and is cheaper... but it's a bit unwieldy and will make the whole rig VERY top heavy, since the C-series cameras are already tall and top heavy anyway. The Zacuto baseplate is expensive but worth every penny and will make life easier.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

David Hetzer
on May 31, 2013 at 6:48:31 pm

Todd,
You were right on the money. I picked up the lower profile base plate and Everything lines up!

Thanks

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on May 31, 2013 at 6:55:57 pm

Great, David.... I knew it would!

You'll find that lower baseplate is just easier to use all 'round, too... your rig won't be so top-heavy any more.

Happy shooting...

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]