FORUMS: list search recent posts

Question: how does Canon MXF importer for Canon XF/Cxx cameras internally work for FCPX?

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Weber
Question: how does Canon MXF importer for Canon XF/Cxx cameras internally work for FCPX?
on May 13, 2013 at 3:15:45 am

I had a question regarding how the Canon MXF importer is working for the Canon XF105/XF305/C100/C300/C500 cameras.

According to the documentation for FXPX, it will dim the option to Create optimized media "if the original camera format can be edited with good performance". For video from my XF105, this option is dimmed.

My raw video from the XF105 is in a set of files which include an MXF file with the footage. In the FCPX Original Media folder for the event I see a file with the name "....(id).mov".

When I open the .mov file in VLC, it shows up as a two streams: an audio track with the codec "PCM S16 LE(sowt)" and a video track with the codec "MPEG-1/2 Video (xd5f)". In QuickTime, it shows up as "Canon XF 422 50Mbps 1080P29.97, 1,920x1,080" for the video part.

I understand that the .mov file is essentially a container (but am not sure how the container is structured).

The questions:
1. Is FCPX not using a Apple ProRes 422 format and instead using a different format for editing?
2. What transcoding/compression/information changes are happening in the import process?
3. If I go into the export menu I see the source format is "Apple ProRes 422". Does Apple ProRes allow for other underlying formats to be included in the video track but then default to ProRes422 as the default export format if it is not ProRes or H.264?

Thanks in advance for any help on this.
Mark Weber

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]