FORUMS: list search recent posts

When to rename C300 MXF files? (AVID project)

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joana Rodrigues
When to rename C300 MXF files? (AVID project)
on May 2, 2013 at 5:43:54 pm

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if I should rename my MXF clips from the C300 with Automator before ingesting them into AVID. Would that change my folder structure? Could that be problematic later when I need to link AMA?

If yes, would anyone have some tips on how and when should I rename my clips? The project in question is a fiction, so I would like to add informations like: Day of shooting, scene and take.

I can be completely wrong, but only doing that after everything is on AVID sounds like a very big and loooong job....

Thanks a lot!

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: When to rename C300 MXF files? (AVID project)
on May 2, 2013 at 8:37:09 pm

Maybe I'm not understanding exactly what you mean or what you are doing, but we always rename the C300 shots with the Canon XF Utility.

First, a disclaimer, this is not AVID... we do this on Windows machines (Matrox MX02) running CS6... but I think it would be the same...

First we backup the card, then from the backup we select clips and go EDIT >> EXPORT TO MXF.

At that point it is easy breezy to give a file a new name, or give a bunch of files the same name but with sequential numbers, etc.

You CAN do that export-to-MXF step right from the cards, instead of making a backup and doing it from the backup. BUT... we always make a backup anyway, and it is infinitely faster to export the MXF files from the backup compared to from the cards, so we do it that way.

Or... that may not be what you are asking at all.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Roger Van Duyn
Re: When to rename C300 MXF files? (AVID project)
on May 6, 2013 at 12:47:10 pm

While I don't have a C300, I do edit in Avid, though I'm no expert. It's been my experience that renaming clips is a bad idea. Avid is finicky with media management. (That's actually a strength, once you understand the logic).

What I do, is give the bins for the clips a descriptive name. Plus, you can add comments to the clips. Also, you can browse the clips with the thumbnail view, or using the script view, you see both the thumbnail and the comments you've added to the clips.

You really need to use Avid's media management the Avid way, or it will likely come back to bite you with "media offline" and other error messages later.

Perhaps you should post your question to the Avid section here on the Cow. There's some real experts there with regards to media management in Avid.

Roger

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]