FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon XL2 vs. Canon Rebel 2Ti

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Kozick
Canon XL2 vs. Canon Rebel 2Ti
on Apr 4, 2013 at 10:01:33 pm

Hello,

I've just begun a job doing video for an organization and am using Final Cut Pro. My question, though, has to do with some shooting options. If this is not a good forum for this question, please let me know what would be a better forum. Here goes...

I have access to a Canon XL2 and Canon Rebel 2Ti. I recently did a couple of quick test shoots with each. In an office room with typical office lighting and without any special lighting, the Rebel picture was very crisp and great. In the same setting, the XL2 didn't look as good. My guess is that with additional lighting the image would have been good. On the other hand, the audio with the Rebel using the internal mic was marginal, while the audio using an external balanced XLR mic into the XL2 was excellent. And just physically, the Rebel is a lot easier to work with than the XL2.

I realize I'm talking apples and oranges here. Before working with the Rebel, I was preparing to just work with the XL2. But now, I'm leaning more towards the Rebel with an external mic. Are there any specs or considerations I should consider in deciding which camera to use for video?

Any recommendations on these options for shooting a variety of industrial videos for DVD & YouTube?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Canon XL2 vs. Canon Rebel 2Ti
on Apr 5, 2013 at 6:56:33 am

Well you're right, that really is apples and oranges.

Probably most glaringly and important... definition. The T2i will give you a high-def image. The XL2 is old school standard definition, no more.

That might not make any difference for DVDs, which are by definition standard-def... but HD videos look great on YouTube and with the XL2 you'll be limited to the 480 maximum YouTube resolution... the T2i will also give you the 720 and 1080 YouTube options.

I'm a little surprised you find the T2i a lot easier to use than the XL2. Most people struggle a bit when trying to use DSLRs for video (just not what they were ergonomically and systemically designed to do), whereas the whole XL series (XL1, XL2, XLH1) is pretty much child's play to use. But... if you are more comfortable with the T2i, then you are.

Just from the definition standpoint, between those two and no other choices I'd probably go with the T2i. And use an external mic, or double system sound with something like a Zoom audio recorder. Never ever use the T2i's internal mic for absolutely anything other than reference audio for syncing. It's just awful (just like the built-in mic on any DSLR). And besides, even with a good mic, placing it on the camera is often just about the worst place you could choose to put it.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]