FORUMS: list search recent posts

Advice on camera to match footage from XA10

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob Weidenfeld
Advice on camera to match footage from XA10
on Feb 22, 2013 at 3:49:10 pm

I recently purchased the Canon XA10 and am happy with it for the most part, except for the zoom. I need to purchase another similar camera which has a better zoom... used to the great 20x zoom on the GL2, the XA10 has only a 10x I guess.

Can anyone recommend a (semi-pro) Canon camera that will give me comparable footage to the XA10 but has at least a 20x zoom?

Thank you!
Rob

Return to posts index

Roger Van Duyn
Re: Advice on camera to match footage from XA10
on Feb 23, 2013 at 2:13:17 pm

As far as I know, Canon isn't making any that have at least a 20X zoom. Even the XF-300 and XF-305 have an 18X zoom.

You might try looking for a used XH-A1. Mine match up well with the newer Canons. I believe Canon also makes a telephoto adapter that attaches to the XA-10.

The new JVC 600 series might also work out for you, but they are quite a bit more than the XA-10.

Roger

Return to posts index

Rob Weidenfeld
on Feb 23, 2013 at 5:51:08 pm

[Roger Van Duyn] "As far as I know, Canon isn't making any that have at least a 20X zoom. Even the XF-300 and XF-305 have an 18X zoom."

Thanks, Roger... after doing a little research, I've found a couple of the Vixia cameras, RF10, RF100, etc. have 20x zooms, but I don't know if the video quality will be comparable to the XA10.

I'm wondering if mixing footage from a 1-chip CMOS camera and a 3-chip CCD camera would "gel" and look right...?

Thanks for your help,
Rob

Return to posts index

Roger Van Duyn
on Feb 23, 2013 at 9:44:06 pm

I have a client who supplied some footage shot on one of the newer card based Canon Vixias to go with the footage I shot with the two XH's. That footage matched up well, under normal lighting, even though the Vixia was AVCHD and mine was HDV.

Footage was from several different dates in the same setting, so lighting was pretty consistent. I only did a little minor tweaking of the color.

Are you sure the 20X zoom in those vixias isn't a digital zoom, instead of a real optical zooms? I'd be very surprised if it was a real 20X zoom.

Roger

Return to posts index

Rob Weidenfeld
on Feb 24, 2013 at 4:54:50 pm

On the Canon USA web site, I put "20x" in the search field, and three Vixia cameras came up: R10, R11, and R100, says they all have "Canon 20x HD video lens" - just not sure what the chip and processing quality is compared to the XA10.

I am looking into the XH-A1, will have to find one used, it looks like. I imagine I could probably get a Sony or other camera that shoots AVCHD and it would probably be fine. I have a system of shooting one cam wide and the other for closer cut-ins and obviously need the footage to match up as much as possible.

Thank you for your suggestions, Roger.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]