FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon XF utility cannot read clip

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Monette
Canon XF utility cannot read clip
on Jan 13, 2013 at 5:04:37 am

Hi there,

Using a card reader I was trying to download my footage shot with a c300 into FCPX. FCPX crashed while opening. When I re-opened and tried to import my clips only 2 of the 50 or so clips were visible and able to be transferred.

I checked out the clips in the Canon XF utility... It lists them but says they cannot be read. When i look at the card using the finder, all of the data structures seem intact and the MXF file seem to be the appropriate size.

I also checked out the clips in the camera in media mode and all I got was a big question mark in the viewer for each of the clips.

I tried backing up the card but it wouldn't copy the files. I ran disk utility and it repaired the disk so i was able to back them up but I still cannot read the card properly.

How can I get these seemingly corrupt files to import properly? Any help will be appreciated.... I'm desperate at this point

Thanks

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Canon XF utility cannot read clip
on Jan 13, 2013 at 4:53:21 pm

Hi Chris...

You can try a couple of different things.

FYI I just had this happen, and not only wasn't I able to recover the files from the card, but whatever happened screwed up the card itself... apparently permanently. I was not able to reformat the card with a computer, NOR was I able to re-initialize the card in the C300. I guess I have a little $100 paperweight. Fortunately we always shoot to two cards simultaniously so I just got the footage off the other one.

Couple of things to try...

Firstly, OUTSIDE of the Canon utility and FCP, try converting the MXF files to something else, ProRes or whatever. There are several utilities that do this, although I know we have used the PavTube converter before and it works well. That might result in files you can use.

Secondly, you can try using the backed-up MXF files directly in an NLE platform that can read them directly instead of FCP. Fortunately what we use (Adobe Premiere CS6) can use native MXF files right on the timeline without any conversion or processing at all, so if you can get access to CS6 try that and you might get lucky.

If you don't have access to Premiere, you can send me a file and I will see if it is readable in CS6. If you'd like to do that contact me off forum at todd(at)fantasticplastic.com and we'll figure out how to get me the file to test. Word of warning though, I recently did that for another COW member in exactly the same situation, and his file could not be recovered.

Good luck... and in the future (unless you are shooting slow-mo) always shoot with dual cards!... I've heard of this happening far too often not to do that, easy insurance)....

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Chris Monette
Re: Canon XF utility cannot read clip
on Jan 14, 2013 at 12:16:49 am

Thanks Todd... I've tried Pavtube and it recovered one file but couldn't see the rest. Trying Premiere Pro now.

C

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]