FORUMS: list search recent posts

HDV Capture Problems - Sony H1U and Canon XHA1

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael King
HDV Capture Problems - Sony H1U and Canon XHA1
on Dec 8, 2012 at 3:28:47 pm

This relates to the Canon XHA1 (See below)

I'm trying to get some HDV footage from a Sony H1U into FCP 7. (After trying to capture with the Canon XHA1) Might I ask? Can anyone tell me what settings I need to capture the footage on 7?

Current Problem--

The "Log and Capture" window is open and when I try to import footage - The time-code rolls, but the screen is black and you cannot hear audio. Eventually the camera stops itself - with a dialogue window that states - there is no input from the camera.

This is the second camera I have tried. The first was the Canon XHA1.

The client wanted to use HDV and their cameras. So I did. I am just not used to using this format anymore.

I have used both these cameras for a similar job and everything worked fine importing with the Sony.

Note: The only major difference is I am on an iMac, when before I was on an older model MacBook.

Of course, deadline is looming. All I need to do is import the footage and make Quicktime movies for the client. This shouldn't be this hard.

Any help on settings (or other advice) needed to import footage with either camera would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Roger Van Duyn
Re: HDV Capture Problems - Sony H1U and Canon XHA1
on Dec 10, 2012 at 2:04:16 pm

Seems pretty bad. Are you sure there's really footage on the tape to start with? Your description is similar to how I used to blank a tape years ago before using it on a shoot. I'd put the lens cap on and record to the end, laying down a timecode track before using the tape for an actual shoot. Maybe the client gave you the wrong tape, and it's just been blanked.

When you play the tape for capture, is there video on the camera's LCD screen? Even better, if you connect the camera to a tv and play the tape, how's the video look and the audio sound?

You can't capture footage if it isn't there.

Roger

Return to posts index

Michael King
on Dec 10, 2012 at 2:25:47 pm

Yes.

I have screened the entire tape for the client off the camera, as well as another HDV camera and a Sony Tape deck in post suite.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I think it is a missing codec.

I finally paid and editor to digitize the footage.

Still. I'd like to solve this problem, as I know I will shoot more project with the Canon XHA1.

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Michael King
on Dec 10, 2012 at 2:27:30 pm

Typo

"an editor"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]