FORUMS: list search recent posts

Matte Box and Rails for 5D MKII??

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Richard
Matte Box and Rails for 5D MKII??
on Dec 3, 2012 at 4:32:32 pm

I'm looking for a good swing away matte box with rotating filters with rails etc. for a Canon 5D MKII, anybody have any suggestions? Chroziel is great, but it is a fortune.
Thanks,
Craig

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Matte Box and Rails for 5D MKII??
on Dec 4, 2012 at 2:24:18 am

As for the matte box, Redrock makes a very good swing-away box that is about a third the price of an Arri or Chroizel.

As for rods, baseplates, and all that assorted voodoo I recommend (now don't you equipment snobs laugh me out of the room now) hitting eBay and searching "Fotga" in the camera/photo category. Fotga is a brand of Chinese-made camera support gear that is SUPRISINGLY good... extremely well made and available in lots of versitile pieces. They have rods, rails/baseplate combos, quick-release plates, and bunches of other parts.

I'm a little bit equipment-snobby myself and I bought a single piece a while back just because I needed something cheap for a one-gig use... and I've since bought several pieces, all of which have been just excellent. Very surprising. For example, I have two very similar rods/baseplate setups for the C300, one from Fotga courtesy of eBay by way of Hong Kong, and one from Zacuto. Is the Zacuto one better? Yep, a little bit... there's no denying they make great stuff. But is it six times better? No, not by a long shot... and that's what the cost difference was.

Incidentally, they also make a swing-away matte box for about $250 (less in some places), but I've never seen it in person so I can't vouch for it specifically.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Sareesh Sudhakaran
Re: Matte Box and Rails for 5D MKII??
on Dec 4, 2012 at 10:19:05 am

This might help: Comprehensive Guide to Rigging Any Camera – 4 Filters and Matte Boxes (Pa...

http://www.wolfcrow.com - Workflow information and support for filmmakers, photographers, audiographers and videographers.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]