FORUMS: list search recent posts

Over Cranking & Under Cranking

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Bec
Over Cranking & Under Cranking
on Nov 29, 2012 at 8:24:36 pm

who can tell me what over-cranking and under-cranking means, I have read somewhere that the C300 wont dual record when its in those frame rates

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Over Cranking & Under Cranking
on Nov 29, 2012 at 8:31:31 pm

It's simple... it means shooting at a slower or faster frame rate than normal (note, FRAME rate, not shutter speed).

The terms come from the days of film cameras (and even way back in the days when cameras were hand-cranked).

Let's say your film is at 24 frames per second. If you overcrank, that means you're running the film through the camera faster than 24fps. Therefore, when the film is projected at 24fps, the scene is in slow motion.

The same terms and methods carry over to the video world. Undercranking is just the opposite of that (and not as common).

Yes, the C300 can overcrank at up to 60fps (although you have to duck the resolution down to 720p to do that). Therefore footage shot at 60fps will be a 40% slow-motion at 24p.

And you are correct... the C300 will not dual record at high frame rates. You can during normal usage set the camera to record the same thing to both cards slots at once, as a safety to have a backup (that's what I usually do). However when you jack the frame rate up, the camera can record to only one of the cards at a time. You choose whether you want it to be the "A" or the "B" card, but it has to be one or the other... not both.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Robert Bec
on Nov 29, 2012 at 9:34:55 pm

Thanks Todd

So just to clarify i will be shooting at 720 50p and at 1080 25p i was just concerned i wouldn't be able to dual record

Rob

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Nov 29, 2012 at 9:43:34 pm

Yes, correct, if you shoot at a higher-than-normal frame rate, you can't dual record.... you will be recording to one card only.

And you can only do those higher frame rates at 720, not at 1080.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]