FORUMS: list search recent posts

CaNON HF CAMERAS WITH 'ART' EFFECT?

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Phillip Ashbeck
CaNON HF CAMERAS WITH 'ART' EFFECT?
on Nov 28, 2012 at 9:00:44 am

i have an hv20 with the 'art' effect and im doing a project that requires it. i would like to upgrade to something that uses SD cards. from what i understand the HV20 uses SD only for photos and cannot use them for hd video recording.

i have searched all over the web and cannot find this info in the specs.

i would like to get an HF20 or HF30 if it has the 'art' effect

any help is much appreciated

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: CaNON HF CAMERAS WITH 'ART' EFFECT?
on Nov 28, 2012 at 8:50:07 pm

[Phillip Ashbeck] " from what i understand the HV20 uses SD only for photos and cannot use them for hd video recording. i have searched all over the web and cannot find this info in the specs.
"

Your understanding is correct... for HD motion video with the HV20 it is recorded to the MiniDV tape only.

I had an HV20 for a few years that I used now and then... actually I never shot with it much except the occasional home-movie type thing, we mostly used it as an HDV deck for tapes from our XLH1. I don't remember any "art effect" though. Is that not something that could be easily replicated with any footage in post?

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Phillip Ashbeck
on Nov 29, 2012 at 5:39:11 am

i tried applying saturation and other tweaks in post but they were not nearly the same in appearance. the 'art' effect is like a cheap rotoscope effect. lighting is very sensitive as things can get grainy with it very easily. in post with vegas every tweak i made to match was too grainy and lights resulted in heavy yellow and reds all over the place. those are the 2 colors i like the least.

do you know of any way to get a rotoscope or saturated but still useful effect in post?

i want it to be cool looking. like the stuff in between the skits here
at roughly 14:07 ish there is a second of footage that is saturated and possibly something else that makes the colors look cartoony

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Nov 29, 2012 at 6:10:35 am

That's mysterious, I don't remember the "art effect" at all... I'll have to dig out my HV20 and give it a look (the tape transport on mine died, but I think it still works as a live camera).

I wish I remembered it, as I'm having a hard time visualizing what it is.... rotoscoping and saturation are, well, not even remotely similar things in either looks or application so I can't quite picture it.

The Ali G sample had a few things going on... there was some color saturation, a little ghosting, maybe some fake ProMist added in post, too. All easy enough to do with a few clicks in Premiere, After Effects, or with Magic Bullet... but I'm sorry to say I'd be clueless as to how to do that in Vegas (just never used it).

I'll try to dig out my HV20.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Nov 29, 2012 at 7:05:10 am

Ah ok... I found it. I actually ran across the HV20 at home (I didn't even know it was here, I thought it was at the studio), so I was able to check it.

The good news is that it's super easy. The "art effect" on the HV20 is just simple solarization. The color grading on most every NLE will have something like that. Look for a filter called "Solarize" or "Solarization" or something to that effect. You'll get exactly the same results as shooting with the HV20 in that mode, and it will be a lot more tweakable.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Phillip Ashbeck
on Nov 30, 2012 at 12:37:36 pm

so far i like the canon hv20 default art effect better than some of what ive seen done on youtube with solarization. thats very helpful nonetheless and i will be tinkering with that effect.

although i still want to know if any of the CANON HF camcorders have the 'ART' EFFECT.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]