FORUMS: list search recent posts

CanonPro/prosumer camera you can use as a web cam

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Mohr
CanonPro/prosumer camera you can use as a web cam
on Nov 20, 2012 at 9:06:30 pm

I'm trying to find a tapeless camera that I can also use as a web camera. I liked how the tape based cameras had a firewire output where you could do this. I used it for live streaming. Are any of the tapelss cameras able to do this? (under $2K) They have USB but no IEEE1394 outputs and I am told the USB is only for file transfer.

Return to posts index

Roger Van Duyn
Re: CanonPro/prosumer camera you can use as a web cam
on Nov 21, 2012 at 8:21:00 pm

As far as I know, only tape based cameras have a firewire jack. Like you said, the USB ports are only for file transfer.

If you still have a tape based camera, you don't need to have a tape in your tape camera for it to stream. On my Canon XH-A1, and A1S under the
SYSTEM SETUP menu, chose the DV CONTROL option.

Basically, it's the same as setting up recording to a FireStore or other external recording device through firewire. I also use this setting to record to a laptop.

I've had other cameras, such as an old Sony
Digital 8, with firewire output that you don't need to even set anything to set anything.

If you no longer have a tape based camera with a firewire port, pawn shops and flea markets have tons of used ones. Also garage sales. For what you want to do, the tape mechanism doesn't even have to work.

Roger

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]