FORUMS: list search recent posts

5D Mark II HD video playback Jerky!

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nathan Rice
5D Mark II HD video playback Jerky!
on Nov 20, 2012 at 8:47:59 pm

Hello All!
I recently bought a 5D Mark II as a secondary video camera for small events. I just started testing the video today and found I had a problem. When I play the video on my computer, it is smooth for a few seconds then it gets jerky/stutters for a second and gets smooth again. This process repeats through the entire video. When I record SD, it doesn't seem to be a problem. When I bought it a guy told me that I needed a card that recorded at 90 Mb/s or the video would give me trouble. The guy at best buy said there would be no problem with the 60 Mb/s card. So since I am on a bit of a budget I went with the 60. Do I really need the 90? Some say it is too heavy for the computer, but I can play 100+ GB lossless videos with no problem. I have a sony Fs100 and can play any HD file from there with no problem. Any input would be great. Thanks in advance.

-Nathan

Computer Specs
2011 Macbook Pro
256 SSD, (only 70 GB used)
8 GB Ram
2.2 quad core i7
Intel HD Graphics 3000
AMD Radeon HD 6750M Graphics Proc. 1GB GDDR5 memory

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: 5D Mark II HD video playback Jerky!
on Nov 20, 2012 at 10:04:18 pm

Hard to say without testing both, but my guess is that your computer is not robust enough to play the clip seamlessly.

I kinda doubt it's the card... we regularly use 60Mbps cards in our Canon C300 which is pumping out 50Mbps, which is about twice what the 5D natively records at, so I don't think it's your card.

Can you play the footage in another computer to see if you get the same results? Or... play them back on the camera and watch the LCD screen, or connect your camera to a TV/monitor with an HDMI cable and see if the footage is smooth? If it is, then it's not the card. The easiest and most difinitive test of that piece of the puzzle though would be to buy/beg/borrow a 90Mbps card and test it. I don't think that's the issue though.

That leaves the computer, which is what I suspect is causing the issue. Just because you can play other 100+ GB lossless videos doesn't mean you can play the ones out of the 5D as well... it doesn't have anything to do with the size of the file, it has to do with the bitrate of the file that's being played, and the higher the bitrate (and more complex the codec) the more it is going to tax your computer.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Nathan Rice
on Nov 20, 2012 at 10:24:56 pm

Hello Todd,

Thank you for the reply. I have a card coming tomorrow to test, but is there anything that I can do if it is the computer? This is the only computer I have an never had any problem like this before. Even after I export the file out of several different programs it still does it in the exact same spots. I figured if it was the computer than the spot where it skipped would vary a little bit. Just the other day I rendered out a blu ray file with a bit rate if 35 Mb/s and there was no problem. Would it be a ram issue or a processor issue? I am just so amazed that it could be the computer. I have read others who have a Mark 2 with an old iMac with only 2GB ram and it plays fine.

Thanks Again,
Nathan

Return to posts index

Nathan Rice
on Nov 21, 2012 at 7:24:33 pm

Hello All!
I just wanted to let you know that the 90 Mb/s card seems to have fixed my problem. When I move crazy fast over a high contrast area it may have one frame be out of place but not like before at all when it was every two seconds. I have tried panning slow and fast, walking hand held etc and it seems to be doing wonderful. Thanks.
Nathan Rice

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]