FORUMS: list search recent posts

C300 footage experiencing the odd green tear (or 'glitch') when transcoded in FCP...?

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom David
C300 footage experiencing the odd green tear (or 'glitch') when transcoded in FCP...?
on Nov 15, 2012 at 6:36:39 am

Hi guys,

Anybody with C300s experience this problem of green glitches in the footage when transcoding footage in FCP log and transfer? The glitches do not appear when playing back raw footage in the log and transfer windows.

We have tried encoding to different prores formats, same result, though different sized glitches. Happens about once every hour of footage - occuring on footage from both our C300s. All footage transcoded on one machine. Tried rebooting and all that, still same result.

If we drop the cards straight into Premiere Pro, the clips play and export fine, however this is not a solution for us as we are shooting 4 hours a day on each camera!

As far as we can tell, all plugins and firmware is as up to date as possible.

Any feedback would be much appreciated, thanks guys.
Tom

Cheers,
Tom

Camera Operator - Editor - Motion Graphics
(http://www.tomdavid.com.au)

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: C300 footage experiencing the odd green tear (or 'glitch') when transcoded in FCP...?
on Nov 15, 2012 at 3:29:25 pm

I haven't seen anything like that with the C300.... but we use Premiere CS6, not FCP...

Are you using the Canon XF Utility to manage (and/or merge) your clips before importing?... or are you just injesting the raw MXF clips right from the cards?

If you're not using the Canon utility first, I'd try that. And one tip we've learned.... we usually merge the clips AND back up the card. It's much faster if you back up the card to your hard drive first and then do your merges from the backup rather than the card. Neither takes long, but it's a few seconds vs. a few minutes.

If none of this applies with the FCP workflow, my apologies (I don't use FCP at all so this might not be relevant).

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Tom David
Re: C300 footage experiencing the odd green tear (or 'glitch') when transcoded in FCP...?
on Nov 15, 2012 at 10:43:32 pm

Thanks Todd,

Yeah, we are copying all our cards to drives before transcoding any footage from them - though doing transcoding in FCP Log and Transfer. Canon XF Utility does seem to fix the problem, though we are hoping to avoid this option as later on it becomes a nightmare to rebuild projects.

Thanks for your feedback though,
Tom

Cheers,
Tom

Camera Operator - Editor - Motion Graphics
(http://www.tomdavid.com.au)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]