FORUMS: list search recent posts

Color Matching between XA10 and 7D and/or T3i

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nathan Jongewaard
Color Matching between XA10 and 7D and/or T3i
on Nov 8, 2012 at 8:12:04 pm

Hello,

I frequently need to match shots from an XA10 and/or my 7D or T3i when editing multicamera shoots. While I can sometimes achieve a reasonable match after fiddling around with Final Cut Pro 7's color correction tools, I'm not satisfied.

Does anyone have advice on specific camera settings, color profiles and the like for production or post-production techniques (that you have specifically seen work for these cameras) that will make this process less tedious and more accurate?

Thank you!

Nathan Jongewaard

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
Re: Color Matching between XA10 and 7D and/or T3i
on Nov 9, 2012 at 5:22:36 pm

Even though you have all canon cameras, which help, you have a CMOS sensor and DSLR sensors, so it's never going to match perfectly.

You should be able to match your two DSLR's by using the same lenses, like 2 L-Series lenses then match your white balance the same as well as F stop, etc.

The XA10's CMOS will interpret light differently, so even though you match the settings as close as possible, it will still look differently.

It helps to take a series of static shots in different lighting and do a practice shoot with all 3 cameras pointing at the same subject. Adjust your settings on all 3 camera to get close to what you want, then do the same by tweaking the adjustments, keeping a log of your settings. Then when you go to post, you can see which setting give you the best results, thus giving you a guideline for future shoots.

There isn't one answer that you can get to solve color grading. It takes experience and time to really know what settings and adjustments will work best.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

Nathan Jongewaard
Re: Color Matching between XA10 and 7D and/or T3i
on Nov 9, 2012 at 6:03:34 pm

Thanks for the comments, Brent.

Actually, all the cameras have CMOS sensors. Not the exact same kind, of course. But that can't be it alone, though surely whatever the sensor differences are impact this issue.

I have no problem matching shots between the T3i and 7D, which I guess is no big surprise since they are so similar. The issue is really between the DSLR footage and the XA10 footage.

I have not put this workflow through the paces properly, I was just thinking maybe I could benefit from others' direct experience with the XA10. I appreciate your response.

Nathan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]