FORUMS: list search recent posts

Combining XF100E and 5D MKII

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Johnston
Combining XF100E and 5D MKII
on Oct 17, 2012 at 10:25:05 am

Hi everyone,

I've recently been shooting on the XF100, using 1920x1080 @50i.

For my next project I'm collaborating with someone using a 5D MKII. What should they (and I) be shooting at so we can combine footage in the edit?

I'm aware their will be aesthetic differences in the footage, but for now I just need to know the technical points so we can import both our footage into the same edit.

Many thanks all!

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
Re: Combining XF100E and 5D MKII
on Oct 18, 2012 at 3:35:33 pm

I don't think you want to shoot interlaced against a 5D, which is shooting, if I remember right, in 1920 x 1080p or some other resolution in progressive mode (p). So change over to match up on whatever resolution you two want the final results in, or better. i.e. your final product might be an SD DVD but I always shoot at highest resolution and downgrade. Did that get to the gist of your question?

I have shot against a 7D (same codec but smaller sensor) and my xf100, and it's a pretty close match, depending on the lighting. In normal lighting I try and get things shooting in 30p, as motion seems to show up more, which is accentuated in the 100, IMHO. In lower light, your XF100 will show more grain, and if you are planning on shooting in super low light, I wouldn't try using the two together. The 100 will not likely match.

But in good outdoor or artificial studio light, you likely will be fine.

Al

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]