FORUMS: list search recent posts

backing up c300 footage

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jack Blanton
backing up c300 footage
on Oct 10, 2012 at 5:25:12 pm

When you're shooting with the canon c300 to CF cards, can you backup the footage to an external drive by manually copying and pasting everything on the CF card to an external drive? Or, do you have to use canon's utility program? I'm thinking something like the RED CF cards, where you just copy everything to a folder on an external drive and then do the LUTs when you're back at the office.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: backing up c300 footage
on Oct 11, 2012 at 5:27:06 am

Do you mean copying from the C300 directly to another drive somehow... that is, connecting another drive directly (sans computer) to your camera? If that's what you are asking, I don't know any way of doing that with the C300 (I've certainly never tried). Not saying it can't be done, just that I'm unaware of it. Might check the manual.

If though you mean can you do it with a computer in the field (laptop or whatever), without using the Canon utility program... yes, it's easy. It's just copying and pasting (or dragging) files from the card (either in the camera or a card reader) onto another drive. All the Canon utility really does it make it easier/faster to look at a bunch of individual clips in one convenient spot all at once, rather than having to drill down through the folders for each individual clip one at a time. And, lets you see an approximation of what the LUT would look like when applied, if you choose. Oh, and it allows you to combine the MXF file with all the other associated and metadata files into one file for less clunky importing into your editing system. But that can be done after the fact with the utility as well... you don't need it just to copy files.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Jack Blanton
on Oct 11, 2012 at 5:22:00 pm

Thanks! I figured it was that easy - just wanted to make sure.

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Oct 12, 2012 at 11:37:10 pm

And just a reminder, since some folks (like myself) missed this for a while, there is an "export to MXF" feature in the Canon utility, that strips out the folder structure, and allows you to simply export all the clips directly to a folder of your choosing. You can also rename the files as you output, and give them a custom sequential name. It's been a great feature for me, accelerating my workflow significantly. I believe the downside may be if you have in camera metadata you are adding at shoot time, that you may lose it. So my thoughts would be to 'backup' the card, and then export to MXF. During a long shoot, I usually just copy as stated by Todd and then use the "export" feature when I am back at the workstation.

Al

Return to posts index

Stewart Allan
on Mar 1, 2015 at 10:44:21 am

Hi guys. I was in a bit of a rush to return a c300 I hired from a hire company. I dragged and dropped all the mxf and data files into a titled folder. Is this problematic for the edit? They came up as lots of separate files rather than one large file (1 hr master interview). Would it help making a copy of the files and the dropping the copied files into a file titled "Contents" or another index/title file? Can xf utility/edit software read them if they're all kept in a titled file? Thanks!

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Mar 1, 2015 at 5:30:34 pm
Last Edited By Todd Terry on Mar 1, 2015 at 5:33:32 pm

Did you back up all the files by simply dragging the "CONTENTS" folder from the card to your computer?

If so, no problem, the XF utility can still handle that fine, you would just go to FILE > SET VIRTUAL MEDIA in the XF utility to locate the new Contents folder, and then after that XF will treat it as always... you can do another backup if you like, or merge/export the .MXF files as usual, etc.

If you've changed the file structure you might have to reassemble the files into the same folder/file order as they are supposed to be for it to work, but I'm not totally sure about that as I have never done exactly that.

You don't HAVE to use the XF utility, you can always poke through all the files and pick what you need to edit with (you only need the large .MXF files), but using the utility certainly makes everything much more organized and easier to deal with.

Also, in the future even if you are in a hurry don't just drag the files from the card to backup... always use the XF utility to make your backup (FILE > BACK UP MEDIA). It doesn't take any longer to do that as opposed to just dragging from a card (in fact, it might even be faster), and it assures that all the folder/file structure is maintained and everything is organized as it should be.

If you are on a computer that doesn't have the XF utility installed, and you're in a hurry... just be sure to drag over that entire CONTENTS folder as-is and intact. Then when you do move it to a computer with the XF utility, it will handle it easy breezy.

You certainly haven't lost anything, and everything is fully recoverable/usable with what you have.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Mary Catherine Brouder
on Jan 23, 2016 at 2:06:14 pm

Hi Terry, et al! I'm hoping you can help! I rented a C300 for the first time, had my DP shoot a bunch of great material, and I backed everything up, but I didn't realize I needed to copy the "CONTENTS" folder over to my computer. I took only the second folder in the Canon card the "CLIPS001" folder, instead of "CONTENTS." Now, the Canon XF Utility isn't reading my folder, and I don't know how to get these files to show up in the Utility, so I can import them into Premiere Pro. When I try importing them with Premiere Pro, the frame rate goes awry and the audio doesn't sync up with the footage. After trying to fix that problem, I finally realized I needed to download the Canon XF Utility to import my files properly, and now, my files won't even show up! Can you help me with this at all? Thank you!!!

Best,
MC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]