FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon C-100

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dean Longfield
Canon C-100
on Oct 5, 2012 at 12:57:31 am

Any thoughts on the Canon C-100:
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/professional/products/professional_cameras/ci...

It looks like the camera will ship for $6,500 and be the competition for the Sony FS-700.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Canon C-100
on Oct 5, 2012 at 2:24:01 am

We were camera shopping just last week, and strongly considered the C100. In the end, though, we decided to go with our original choice of the C300 (PL version). According to FedEx tracking, ours should be delivered tomorrow (yea!).

The biggest deciding factor for me was the lens mount... we have all PL mount lenses (and no Canon mount lenses), so none of our glass would work with it... and the lenses we have are by far one of our biggest investments, far more than the camera bodies. Plus so many other elements and features about the C100 just seemed a bit too much of a "baby version" of the C300 for us to consider it as a primary camera. BUT... I'd sure definitely consider the C100 as a "B" cam, or when dealing with equipment budgets that are a little more restrictive. It definitely looks interesting, and it's pretty darn inexpensive.

I would definitely be interested in playing with one.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Oct 5, 2012 at 12:45:14 pm

Waiting to see the reviews from independents. If it shot mxf on cf like my 7d and 305 I would instantly buy it, but going to 4:2:0 from 4:2:2 seems odd. Having to buy all new cards. I just can't see spending twice this for those features on the c300, for my use, that is. I'm sure the 300 is a fabulous camera though. I can see buying one at some point. If it really is as good as it appears i might sell the xf305, though i love shooting with it.

Al

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Oct 6, 2012 at 6:42:13 pm

[Al Bergstein] " I'm sure the 300 is a fabulous camera though."

Well, ours was finally delivered late yesterday afternoon... so I've only been playing with it for a few hours. I don't use the term "game changer" very lightly... but so far the C300 seems nothing short of that. I'm pretty blown away... and I'm hard to impress. More to come.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Oct 6, 2012 at 8:00:46 pm

I've been sort of thinking the same thing. MXF format with interchangeable lenses and super DOF, all with the same setups as the XF305 and 105. It's hard not to just go buy one! One thing I've liked about my 105 that the 305 doesn't have, is a 3.5' mic jack. Occassionally I like to just plug in my VideoPro from my 7D to the 105, and I have to carry a larger mic for the 305. I understand they left that out of the C300.

Al

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Oct 6, 2012 at 8:11:02 pm

[Al Bergstein] "Occassionally I like to just plug in my VideoPro from my 7D... I understand they left that out of the C300."

No the C300 has both. You have two XLR mic jacks (with phantom) in the little topside LCD monitor unit (unfortunately you must attach the little monitor on top in order to use the XLRs, which is one of the few design flaws I've seen). But there is also a mini-plug mic input that's actually on the camera body. That one takes precedence over the XLRs, if it is in use. I haven't tried it because I don't have any mics that would feed it... but it's there.

I don't use the term "game changer" very lightly, but man-oh-man I think this is gonna be one. I'm almost afraid it's going to make me completely re-think the way I DP, and then I'll forget how to do it the "old fashioned" way.

I'm blown away by its low-light capability. I was just shooting my dog laying on the sofa, in pretty darn low available light, and the image looked phenomenal... I was watching it via HDMI just on my plasma TV, and it was clear as a bell. Not even a hint of noise, with the ISO jacked up, oh, mediumish. I thought he was well lit, but not very INTERESTINGLY lit, so I went to the toolbox and grabbed just a little pocket-sized LED flashlight and shined it on him to give him a bit of side/rim light. I swear this looked like a scene that yesterday I would have taken an hour, at least four instruments, and a buttload of grip gear to create. I'm... well, stunned.

The only downside I've seen so far is that my follow focus unit won't work with it. I have the Redrock FF, and because of the way it is built and that sort of "lip" on the bottom of the camera body (and the mount is a bit recessed), I can't slide the FF back far enough on the rods to engage the lens gears before it bumps into the camera body. Grrrr. I guess I'll have to look for another one that will fit.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Oct 6, 2012 at 8:17:03 pm

Ouch, those RR follow focus aren't cheap either! Maybe they'll have an adapter. I can't see replacing my 7D, or 105 with it (I have done some great paying gigs with Infrared on the 105). But I can see selling the 305, but I do live ENG zoom...

Al

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]