FORUMS: list search recent posts

Does CineStyle steal dynamic range?

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lewis Costin
Does CineStyle steal dynamic range?
on Sep 26, 2012 at 2:18:14 pm

Hi. I've been wondering for a while about Canon's CineStyle picture mode that is apparently amazing because it flattens the image ready for all the possibilities in grading. This is all well and good, but isn't the drawback to this the fact that it flattens your image in the first place? From what I understand in the digital world, if the information is never recorded, it can never be 'brought' back. Does this apply when shooting 'flat'? And if so, why would people want to? Is having options in post really worth it?

Return to posts index

Bob Dix
Re: Does CineStyle steal dynamic range?
on Oct 10, 2012 at 7:35:02 am

Re: Canon Cinestyle Technicolor

>http://www.technicolor.com/en/hi/about-technicolor/press-center/2011/technicolor-canon-usa-form-strategic-alliance-to-leverage-technicolor-color-science-for-canon-eos-dslr-cameras

This will need CS6 After Effects for video I think,we use Canon's EOS 5D Mark II'S and the result was not worth it, Technicolor got back to me and said "what do you want at least it extends the dynamic RANGE".

They have got to be kidding,it initially flattens the image and after a lot of effort you may get back to the original image if you are lucky,we deal with 1,000's images and HD 1920 X 1080P H.264 mov and would not put up with this technical experiment

Technicolor Color 35mm was & is a great product, this is not and needs a lot more development, it is free and that is what is is worth.

Use Canon Professional Digital Software for still RAW images and you will end up with a great result,nearly as good as Hasselblad Medium Format quality may be better?

Perhaps we Aussies are too fussy ?Maybe improve the intergration with a film camera ??????

Ps This is a reply from Adobe Forum >

You are posting this in the Premiere forum, but I use it all the time with good results. There is an accelerated RGB curve effect designed specifically for the Technicolor profile that is a quick way to get a good image in Premiere. Plays back in realtime with CUDA.

Also,http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/education/tipsandtricks/content/educati...

Well it is hardly worth it, see this demo ............

Freelance Imaging & Video
AUSTRALIA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]