FORUMS: list search recent posts

Does Datavideo DN-60 really only work with Sandisk Cards (whitch I am not impressed with)

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Edwards
Does Datavideo DN-60 really only work with Sandisk Cards (whitch I am not impressed with)
on Aug 24, 2012 at 8:19:02 pm

OK, I know the answer must be no unless Datavideo have been given a massive back hander and don't care about there customers so what speed cards/which will work (there manual has a link to a list of other qualified cards but the link is broken).

The reason I ask is that (with SD cads) I have found Sandisk are overpriced and under-perform compared with others. Basically you pay a lot for the brand and only get the minimum performance they can get away with (I suspect this is so they can get you to buy there more expensive products).

Anyway enough ranting, what cards do people find work.

Ben

PS I did spend a while trying to work out which forum to post to, sorry if I got the wrong one;(.

--
Ben Edwards - Freelance Picture Editor
http://www.funkytwig.com

i5 550, Windows 7 / Mac Lion, Nvida 550 Ti, 8GB Mem

Return to posts index

Joel Servetz
Re: Does Datavideo DN-60 really only work with Sandisk Cards (whitch I am not impressed with)
on Aug 24, 2012 at 10:24:28 pm

I've been using SanDisk Extreme Pro 32GB cards with no issues. Others may have different results with different cards.

Joel Servetz
RGB Media Services, LLC
Sarasota, Fl
videobyjoel@aol.com
http://www.rgbmediaservices.com

Return to posts index

Paolo Castellano
Re: Does Datavideo DN-60 really only work with Sandisk Cards (whitch I am not impressed with)
on Sep 18, 2012 at 10:01:28 pm

Hello Ben,
late reply but may help.
I can confirm that the DN-60 works with Sandisk cards only. Lexar ones for example doesn't work.
Sandisk CF cards are usually expansive, but I cannot say anything on product quality, that is always very good.

Best Regards,

Paolo.Castellano@ivs.it
http://www.ivsEdits.com
-----------------------
"Post Fata Resurgo"

Return to posts index

Ben Edwards
on Sep 24, 2012 at 6:16:02 pm

Kingston 233x also work like a dream. Last post was kind of odd, I guess they must work for sandisk. Or maybe they have actually tested all the makes of cards around and found they did not work;).

--

Return to posts index

Paolo Castellano
on Sep 24, 2012 at 8:56:48 pm

Hello Ben,
I'm happy that you shared your successful experience with other manufacturers.
I don't work for Sandisk :-) , I just read the manuals of the equipments I use; you can check by yourself http://www.datavideo.info/specs/CF_Card_Compatibility.pdf on page 23
"Qualified DN-60 CF Cards and Record Times"
Not all CF cards on general sale are optimised for video applications. Certain cards may look to be compatible but may provide un-reliable results when reading or writing DN-60 video data.
Datavideo have tested and recommend using only CF media that has been qualified for use with this product.

In the list you will find Sandisk only, and inside the DN-60 I found a flier that suggested to use "SANDISK ONLY".
I checked this suggestion on myself, since a perfect Lexar CF card didn't worked...

Best Regards,

Paolo.Castellano@ivs.it
http://www.ivsEdits.com
-----------------------
"Post Fata Resurgo"

Return to posts index

Sam Alexander
on Nov 20, 2012 at 12:38:31 pm

My experience using the DN-60 with a Sony Z1 camera was quite unreliable with 2 other brands I've tried. I tried the cheap Adata 32Gb CF cards and the normally awesome Transcend CF 32Gb - both of which claim to be rated much more of a data rate than the video requires (and they do perform fast with typical file copies I've done with them) - but neither the Transcend nor Adata work 100% all the time.

I've had issues where the card would be recognized and work, and then re powering up after a break from shooting and the Adata would not be recognized by the DN-60 and need to be reformatted.

Also the Transcend (who btw I LOVE for their SD cards) worked fine for short clips but longer shots had audio drifting progressively so there was no fix in the edit. Thank goodness I also had a tape in there or I would have been screwed for that production.

I am going to try using only the Sandisk CF cards recommended here and see if they are 100% or if the problem is with the DN-60 itself. Just thought I'd mention my experience because - these are some fast CF cards I tried - supposedly much faster than the DN-60 needs, but still they are not reliable enough that I would ever shoot again with it - at least not without tape backup.

I read somewhere that it has to do with how Sandisk handles UDMA - but I know nothing about how that works really or the difference between the cards / drivers.

Return to posts index

Ben Edwards
on Nov 20, 2012 at 1:16:09 pm

I ended up getting 2 16GB Kingston x266 cards and they work like a dream. Cheap cards and under 266 are to be avoided.

Cost a fraction of what Sandisk would of.

Ben

--

Return to posts index

Sam Alexander
on Nov 21, 2012 at 1:33:10 am

Thanks for your reply, Ben. :)

That's good to know - I'll check them out - but hopefully you can tell me if your Kingstons have been hammered in production and had no problems with drifting audio or anything with the DN-60. (What camera are you using it with if I may ask? Perhaps my problems are from the Sony Z1 side of things?)

I just checked and it was the 32Gb Adata 533X and the 32Gb Transcend 400X ones that all didn't work or were very unreliable in the DN-60. Their specs say they are fast enough, but they just don't cut it.

Unless you really have pushed those Kingstons and had no problems, I might just have to bite the bullet and grab the SanDisks...

Return to posts index

Ben Edwards
on Nov 21, 2012 at 7:51:44 pm

Not hammered as I use dSLRs a lot noways. Wonder if they realty are 400/500 sustained reliable transfer? I trust Kingston as a quality brand over the other two. Will add to thread if I get any problems etc.

Others seem to talk favorable about them.

Ben

PS was Sony Z1.

--

Return to posts index

Ben Edwards
on Nov 21, 2012 at 7:53:09 pm

PS was Zony Z1.

--

Return to posts index

Mihael Tominšek
on Jul 15, 2013 at 7:39:38 pm

MY five cents:
- I have DN-60 for a while (once replaced due to bad production quality)
- I do not trust this product as 100% reliable, so I'm not using it much
- I tried various CF cards I had handy, but ONLY SanDisk worked so I ended up with several 16GB Ultra (30 MB/s) and lately 32GB Extreme (60 MB/s, since they are almost same price per GB lately.

So speed of CF card have not much to do with DN-60, but must be something else. Some other card I have tried was faster than Sandisk (I have CF-SATA adapter). Some card were not recognised, some were not working for recording.

DN-60 is you-get-what-you-pay-for:
- cumbersome design at every corner of device (CF card, FW cable, batteries, navigation BUTTON !!)
- awkward and nonlogical menu and navigation
- nonreliable (probably part of it is more to the FW connection on camera

I use Canon XHA1 and XHA1s:
- With both cameras and FW connector (4 and 6 pin) I experienced lost connection, droped frames, bad first two frames
- Both cameras act same: The "CUT" is not at the same spot as in on tape is. CF card "start recording" a bit sooner than tape, but odd is that CF card cuts away second of video, while on tape is stil recorded. I actualy tested this recording wall clock. And tape stops when I press record button. But CF card eats away one second.

DN-60 have other issues too, but batteries runs longer than stated - I use Panasonic evolta ones and I like that.

I use DN-60 for backup while I record all the time while camera is on, but make separate takes with tape. That way I have "prerecord". So DN-60 really is not magic cure.

But I can confirm too, that only SandiskCard works. Maybe some other too, but I would not risk and have not time (an money) to buy all and test it myself. DN-60 made me some grey hair even without this.

regards, MIHAEL

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]