FORUMS: list search recent posts

C300 clip corrupt, but will play in XF Utility!??!?

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Johnston
C300 clip corrupt, but will play in XF Utility!??!?
on Aug 17, 2012 at 4:34:15 pm

We just got our shoot footage back from Saskatchewan, and most of the hundreds and hundreds of clips will play back and export perfectly from Canon XF Utility (v1.3.0 on OSX 10.6.8). We are also using the Avid Canon XF AMA plug-in to AMA link and consolidate our clips in Avid. However, there is one clip which is giving us a tremendous amount of trouble.

Here are the vitals:

1) We have copied the entire folder structure from each CF card into its own folder on a hard drive, and are AMA-linking to the files on the hard drive, as well as "Setting virtual Media" within Canon XF Utility to these Hard Disk copies. We have treated the corrupt one no differently than any of the others which have worked.

2) The corrupt clip is the very first clip on one of the CF card images.

3) In Avid, if AMA linking to the CF card volume, all clips play back fine, except for the corrupt one, which gives us the following error: "Exception: Failed to get the sample temporal offset from the AMA Plug-in."

4) In Canon XF Utility, the corrupt clip plays back fine if you play the clip from the very beginning. If you try to click ahead or behind in the timeline, the clip will no longer play, until you play another clip, then click back on the corrupt clip. We can watch the entire 2m40s clip from start to finish within the Utility.

5) Choosing 'Export MXF' from Canon XF Utility has inconsistent results. Sometimes, it will produce a clip that is 4 frames long (the first 4 frames). Sometimes, it will produce an MXF clip that is the full length. However, the resulting exported clip cannot be played in anything except for VLC, and VLC will not properly export it as anything else.

6) Within Avid, AMA linking directly to the original MXF file within the CF card structure gives a clip that will not play and produces the same "Exception:" error listed in #3. AMA linking to the MXF file exported from Canon XF Utility will also not play, and produces the same error.

Does anyone have any experience with fixing these clips? Does Canon have any 'repair utility' for these kinds of clips, like Panasonic makes for P2 media?

Thanks in advance!
-Tim

Return to posts index

Tim Johnston
Re: C300 clip corrupt, but will play in XF Utility!??!?
on Aug 17, 2012 at 4:54:45 pm

Just talked to Canon (didn't reallize you could call and actually talk to a real person -- AWESOME!), and they said that we've already tried all the things that they recommend. They're starting a case and will keep me posted.

The cameras we used were rentals, so we could not try the following:
7) Copy the CF card image back onto a CF card and insert it into the camera. Upon insertion, often, the camera will identify that there's a corrupt clip and will fix it.

One more note to add:
8) We often have corrupt clips from this camera, about 3 out of the 300-or-so clips that we've shot so far, and most of the time the clips will simply not play or be recognized by any software, including Canon XF Utility. What's unique about this one, is that it does play in the Utility, barring any scrubbing on the timeline.

-Tim

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Aug 18, 2012 at 3:54:08 pm

Tim, while I probably don't have anything to add to this as to recovering that Canon hasn't already said, what cards did you use? I found that I had significantly higher problems with anything other than the Sandisk Extreme Pro UDMA 6 90 MB/s cards. Since switching to them I've *never* experienced a lost file. But, to be safe, I always shoot dual slot for paid gigs, unless I am covering an event that requires me to shoot continuously for longer than one card can handle. Since the cameras do dual slot recording (I use an XF300 and 100) I use it. I'm sure that others are using other cards just fine, but these have been flawless so I don't feel any need to change.

Hope this helps in the future.

Al

Return to posts index

Adam Schleifer
on Mar 11, 2013 at 10:58:00 pm

I know this was posted quite a while ago,but we are experiencing the same problems. Did Canon ever respond to you, have you been able to find a solution. Thanks

Return to posts index

Justin Stephenson
on Apr 4, 2014 at 8:26:00 pm

I have just managed to resolve an issue with corrupted MXFs from a C300. The guy who DMTed copied the card over without checking the files, wizzed the card and was then not much help in recovery. Grrr.

Long story short, I was missing 5/6ths of the shoot and had to figure out a way to get the materials back. Here is how it went:

- copying to the cf card and then putting back into a c300 did not repair the clips.

- copying back to the cf card and playing back from the camera DID work - with some artifacts occasionally.

- Playing in MPC-HC on windows did work - with some artifacts occasionally.

So I managed to play back the clips and record to a BMD Hyperdeck Shuttle. I did a wipe between the 1/6th of the original material and my recaptured material and could not see a difference on a reference monitor.

This is not the ideal solution, but it saved the day in the end.

I hope it is helpful to someone facing the same issue.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]