FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon XA-10 and Manfrotto LANC remote

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
stacey lumley
Canon XA-10 and Manfrotto LANC remote
on Jul 31, 2012 at 3:06:44 pm

I'm about to purchase a canon xa 10. I've used one on a couple of shoots and while i do like the camera i feel the ergonomics for operation off a tripod is lacking. Basically my hand gets in the way of the monitor when I'm trying to zoom. Easy fix with a LANC remote.

Does anyone out their own a Manfrotto Pan Bar EX remote?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/816009-REG/Manfrotto_MVR901EPLA_RC_Pa...

I would like some feedback on it especially if you're using a canon xa 10 or xf 100. I'll take recommendations as well.

Thanks,
Stacey

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Canon XA-10 and Manfrotto LANC remote
on Jul 31, 2012 at 3:50:04 pm

I don't want to be one of those "I don't know the answer but I'll chime in anyway" people.... but in this case I will...

Even if some people give you reviews on that controller, I'd hold off on buying one until you can speak with someone who is using that exact controller preferably with your exact camera as well... or at very minimum a similar model Canon camera.

Canons are notorious for not being fully compatible with non-Canon after-market LANC devices... especially zoom controls. Or if you take the plunge and buy one, make sure it is from a dealer that will accept returns if the controller doesn't talk with your camera as it should.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

stacey lumley
on Jul 31, 2012 at 5:22:38 pm

Yea.. it's a nice looking remote. I hope someone can comment on it. I can't find anything on it. Not even a manfrotto video.

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Jul 31, 2012 at 4:04:52 pm

Hi Stacey,

While I have not used the Lanc remote you linked to, I do have two of the Sony RM-1BP's and two of the Libec XC-3DV (also a Sony RM-1000BP scheduled to arrive in the next couple days). I found that I really like the Libec, it responds sooner, with less physical movement of the rocker, than the Sony. It may not have the speed or focus adjustments like the Sony, but I'm happy with the Libec's sensitivity. Also, the cable on the libec is a separate piece, so it's easy to just replace cable when it eventually goes bad.

I had used these remotes with the Canon G10 (basically an XA-10 minus XLR handle, impressive camerafor what it is IMO), before returning the camera because it's HDMI does not send a full quality HD signal to the DVI input of my switcher. Still using the remotes with my NX5u's.

Return to posts index

Larry Brewer
on Mar 12, 2015 at 5:11:39 pm

David

Did you receive your rm-1000bp? How do you like it? Would you like to sell it?

Thanks,
Larry Brewer

Return to posts index

Mark Walker
on Aug 9, 2012 at 4:11:46 pm

I have the Canon XA10 and the Manfrotto MVR901ECLA remote control. All controls on this remote unit work as advertised on this camera. The power button turns the camera on and off, pressing the AF button (when the camera is set to manual focus initially) will toggle to AF until the button is released. Double clicking AF will switch the camera between AF and MF. The focus is controlled with the zoom control button (rocker), so it is a bit challenging to set the focus this way (I would prefer a knob or ring control). The same rocker button controls both zoom and focus, so you can't make adjustments to both at the same time (e.g., pull focus with zoom). I prefer using the remote for zoom control and the focus ring on the camera for focus control. The remote control also has a zoom speed limit, so if you want a very slow zoom, you can set it at the minimum. At the maximum, the rocker has 16 steps of zoom control speed.

Overall, I think the remote is a good match for this camera!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]